1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shovelers and Snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Feb 29, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

For those of you that have snowblowers and shovelers on your crew how do they get around?<p>I have found that it doesn't work to have the shoveler ride with the plow driver, most of the time.<p>Only should the shoveling crew have it's own truck. Do you gain enough effecenty to make it worth while.<p>Or do you shovelers use their own car or truck.<p>Me i kinda use a little of each way to get my shovelers around. Just wondering what you guys do, the more effecient we all are the more money we make.<p>Geoff

2. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

When I was doing residential drives, they were mostly in groups so I'd drive from group to group and he'd ride with me, and just walk from house to house on the street. Its hard when there is more shovel work then plowing because I was ready to knock out more drives but had to wait on him to finish. Not saying he was slow, just saying some of the long walks would take longer to shovel then for me to plow the driveway.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Geoff,<br>We have (2) 2-wheel drive Fords we use for shoveling/snowblowing crews.<p>We also have 2 other crews in which the employees use your own vehicles. We pay them extra money of course, but this is really the way to go IMO.

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff - most of our plowing matches up with the amount of shoveling/snowblowing necessary. It took a while for this to happen. But, for this year we set up a 99F-350Xtended cab - with the 4doors to be a sand truck and go out for touch ups. This truck is long, and has no plow on it (yet). I figured that instead of putting sanders on every truck I would dedicate just one. It seems to have worked. If the back seat isn't used to carry guys, it folds down and can be used for bags of ice melt.<br><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

5. GeoffD

Is that F 350 a pick-up or does it have a body on it?<p>Geoff

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

why would you need to put bags of salt in the cab? I've heard that the ex cab truckss beds are small but that small?<br>Geoff sounds to me like just a bed no dump.<br>Nick<br>

7. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ps what do you think?<br>

8. GeoffD

I don't think an extended cab truck with an 8' body is very long. Try and F 550 crew cab with 10 rack body, note the truck is 2wd and doesn't plow or sand, just shovel. <p>Phil how about a 9' Diamond for that F 350 extended cab?<p>Geoff<p>

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

What we do is after the storm is over we have a Ranger 4x4 with a plow and two handa 621 snowblowers that make the rounds. they do the walks, and clean out between cars and do the dumpsters. Works out well, and they can have each complex done in about an hour. We only have 3 complexes to do, so they finish about the same time we finish our churches.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

The 99 F-350 x cab has a 9'6&quot; flatbed dump (power up and down). It is a dually. The bags of icemelt are usually on the body, but during the icestorm, it kept them nice and dry. It was my example of how useful the extended cab is for bodies, bags, etc. We usually keep the bags on the body next to the sander. <p>Geoff - probably next year for a plow, and yes probably a Diamond. We haven't received enough snow for me to worry. There is no shortage of plows in stock down here.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider