1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shovel no matter what

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz1, Jan 28, 2005.

1. caz1

caz1 Member

I have an account that I just do the sidewalks for $30.00 each time takes about 20 mins to do on a 2in fall they a couple of times we just got a 1/4 of an in and i just let the shoveling go because i felt that they did not need it. He is now telling me to shovel no mater how much we get even if its something i can move with a broom. So do i still charge him 30.00 for doing it or do i charge him less on the lite falls ? this is a commercial account
  2. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

If you have to get out of the truck charge him the full amount.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Charge him the full amount. On a 1/4" you could use a back pack blower if you have one.
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

No doubt charge them the full amount. If you or they think they aren't getting their money's worth for a 1/4"...wait until you get a 12-24" dumping. Then who's getting the better deal?? :)

5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

definitly charge full price. its still the same amount of walkway, correct?
  6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

In the interest of customer relations, this is how I handle this.

If in a lighter snowfall I could do the job in say 12 minutes I would use a scale much like I use in per push situations.
    Dusting to 2" = $20.00
    2" to 4" = $30.00
    4' to 6" = $40.00
    6" + = per hour quote
    This way the customer will not feel riped off when you do a very light snowfall in 10 minutes with a broom. And you wont be undercharging for your time in heavier snowfall that will take you more time and effort. Since this gentleman is very concerned about snow cover could you sell him in salt services? Thats just my opinion.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

If the customer once to pay you to clean the walks, just do it. If it takes you longer or shorter because of the amounts, well than sometimes it will be easy and sometimes it will be harder. Bottom line is do what the customer is paying you to do. Just don't change your pricing.
    Have you thought of getting a single stage snow blower? They are perfect for sidewalks, and in less than 6" are really fast. Plus they clean down to the bare concrete. You should also consider spreading a deicer after shoveling. It is a great Add-On and is safer for the property owner.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

charge them full price. your time and energy. you still had to travel to the account and be available to clear the sidewalk, it's called service and it comes with a price!! So don't sell your self short by under bidding your self with lower rates..
  9. Leethehandyman

Leethehandyman Junior Member

Like the other guys said charge the full price. Remember it goes both ways. You will be glad you did when you are shoveling 12 inches for the same 30$ :)