1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shovel crew jackets

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLM, Oct 21, 2010.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at getting jackets for my shovel crew. Any one know OSHA requirements (ANSI class 2 or 3 ?) I'm leaning toward the 2, links are below
    class 2: http://www.safetydepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=300BC-2
    class 3: http://www.safetydepot.com/300C-3-Class-3-reversible-jacket-p/300c-3.htm

Both are same price, I personally think the 3 with the yellow is a bit much, If the guys think they look like clowns, I don't know if they'll wear them. There isn't a point in buying them for them for it to sit in the truck.

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You may want to look at ll bean. They have several jackets that have reflective material but aren't goofy looking.

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Class 3 is for night work, esp on roadways.
    I personally think both look goofy but thats JMO.
    I just ordered a bunch of 3 in 1 high viz jackets like these for all of my guys in lime green.

http://www.wasip.com/pdfs/Wasip06_033.pdf

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. capitalsnow

capitalsnow Member

How much for those jackets if you dont mind me asking

5. JohnnyRoyale

About $100 each.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

....taking care of your employees ~ you guys are good bosses. :drinkup:

7. capitalsnow

capitalsnow Member

Might have to call them up, local company here qouted me 160.00 for a simialar jacket

8. JohnnyRoyale

The funny part is I am lead to believe we never do enough (for some of them.)

9. JohnnyRoyale

I can dig up the number of the guy my partner bought them from and PM you with it or maybe try going direct.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Of course...you never will.:rolleyes:

Little do they know how fortunate they really are.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You Been Drinking??????...:drinkup:

The company im with purchased about 200 of the Class 3 coats for all the employees...Safety is something we do not take for granted...We do alot of night work and this is just one more thing to keep the guys safe....:salute:

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No...:angel:

...but I am now.:waving:

13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I concur!
    :salute: :salute: :salute:

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I bought a La cross all weather rain suit last winter,, its very comfortable, weather/waterproof, liner insert and its kind of stretchy. It the safety yellow with 3m reflective piping all over it. I got it from RavenRock outdoor wear on sale for 85 bucks. Every year I tell the guys, you need something water proof but I guess they like wearing soaked Carhartts.

15. ajslands

Do you use those rubber gloves that have like grit on them? Those things are realy confortable! :waving:

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No but I hear they are great for bagged salt. Thank God I dont have to deal with that any more.

17. ajslands

It's also great for using an air Grinder for changing a 14' poly cutting edge on a snow dog pusher!

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The knit gloves with rubber pads (no grit) are great for almost everything, or I've used poly knit with the non reactive rubber (purple) dip on them too. Neither are water proof, but they keep hands warm even when wet- the only drawback is the grey ones (available almost everywhere) the rubber breaks down every couple of years (I replace them every 2 years because of it) but the purple outlast the knit part of the glove.

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You could just have your employes use there own jackets and supply them with reflective vest.

20. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i have one of those cheap coats, its ok but not the most comfortable ,waist rides up look into carhartt highviz i have a real nice zipper sweatshirt lined and comes in orange or lime with 3m reflective ive had it for 5 years dirty as hell but still wear it everyday