1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SHoule blowers issue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLM, Dec 31, 2012.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We are having a minor issue with the gear on the hydraulic motor that spins the chute working its way down the shaft so the two gears no longer mesh. I have realined the gears multiple times, locktited the threads on the set screw too, still happening on both our blower units. My next thought is to pull the gear off & stack nylon washers on the shaft to act as a spacer. Any one had this happen ? And solutions ?

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Any pictures? I'd think the nylon washer idea sounds good. The Normand and Pronovost haven't given me problems, but skidloader blowers have broke almost any part off that you could name.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I will get pics, I'm going to work on it later this week. I figured the nylon because , if something is going to wear from the spinning I would rather it be the spacer that the bottom of the gear or top of the motor.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Not on a blower but a similar problem on a sweeper, I dimpled the shaft with a drill bit where the set screw needed to stay. It worked well and probably sees more duress than a chute sprocket.

5. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have never had this probems but the shafts on my Normand motors are all keyed. The only problem I have is that they shaft seal gets blown out once a year. Is it possible to take Mr. Marcus's suggestion one step further and drill right through the shaft and put a bolt in there?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Maybe a tack weld? Just keep it light so if you ever have to take it off you could grind through it with just a couple seconds and a cutting wheel.

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We had this issue as well. I am out of town but will get you pics this evening (1/01/2013). Ended up being a fairly easy fix.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My machine is on site, about 1.5 hrs from shop so tack weld isn't an option unless I want to drive it back here. I look forward to seeing what you did Herm. Thanks.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do what markus said and also take some black zip ties and put them against the sprocket and then duct tape them to the shaft so it can't slide. This would have been my getto fix until I dimpled the shaft.

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Our shop mechanic removed the protective cover which allowed him to remove the gear. A bushing was inserted into the gear so that it could not slide down the shaft. The bushing was marked, the excess cut off and then the bushing was welded flush to the top of the gear. The bottom of the bushing is 1 & 5/16" up from the bottom of the gear. The end of the shaft of the motor actually has threads in it and an allen screw was used to keep the gear from moving up the shaft. The gear was re-installed and the allen screws on the gear tightened and we have not had an issue since. John also cut a hole in the protective cover for additional clearance (although not really needed). PM your e-mail address and I will forward a couple of pictures I took this morning. While this is a permanent fix, you could do the removal of the gear on site and then go to a shop to repair and then re-install.