1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Shoulda-woulda-coulda

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutntrim, Feb 9, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

This year we added a third plow truck and decided to go with another snoway 7.5' with downpressure. We already had one snoway and one meyers. We figured the snoway was half the weight of the meyers (less wear and tear on a 1985 truck) and with the downpressure would be handy for driveways. Well...we're only doing a handful of driveways this year so the vast majority of our plowing is commercial. We added wings to our meyers and it leaves the snoways in the dust. We might have gotten another meyers except that the old E47 pump has really been a pain in the ###. About 20% of the time it won't angle or lift on the first try. Drives us nuts. But we only had enough cash to get a third plow, not a plow plus a new pump. <p>Considering the number of driveways we do, one little plow is enough. You guys with the V-plows are right. I'll never buy another straight plow. At least the new snoway has a steel blade...maybe we can retro some wings on it somehow.<br><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dave,what kind of wings did you put on?How good do they work.I have wanted a set of them but am afraid that they would break off or not scrape clean enough.Do you know if they are bottom trip compatible with my fishers.I have 2 big lots and they would cut time down alot in them I'm sure.Thanks John Dimartino in Hudson Valley,NY <p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

John Martino where are you in the Hudson Valley,as we are in Poughkeepsie and would like to make contact with you.thanks John Parker<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

4. Stephen

Stephen Member

John- were in the hudson valley are you located as i am in Sullivan County, NY. Not that far away. Maybe we could talk suppliers for equipment and check some prices. Any and all are welcome for that. <p>Thanks<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Stephen,we are located in poughkeepsie,which is in Dutchess county<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

6. cutntrim

John,<p>The wings we put on are from meyers. They've got a rubber scrape edge on the bottom so they'd probably be alright on your fisher. Call your local meyers guy (if you've got one) and ask him. They definately drastically cut down plow time compared to plowing without wings.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Most wings are from beyers and are called pro wings. Check out central parts warehouse. I bought 2 pairs this season for 160 each. Best prices around.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

to cut and trim<p>What controll do you have on your e-47? Joystick or touchpad. I had a joystick fail after years of plowing. It did the same thing i think, only it wouldn't always drop. If you raised the blade a little then dropped it, it worked. I had the same problem with the angle function on that truck. New joystick problem solved. Note my truck had the e-60 and a diamond plow with joystick. Only the controlls are the same as the e-47 meyer. <p>The guy that plowed with that truck was pissed that storm. He would drop the blade or so he thought. Then take off and drive up through the snow with the blade up. It looked kinda funny, the he would back up raise the blade a little drop it and go.<p>Geoff

9. cutntrim

Hey Geoff,<p>Just got in from plowing last night. Weatherman called for flurries mixed with freezing rain ending by early evening. Instead we got 4-5&quot; snow starting early evening and continuing until about 5 am. I'm amazed those guys still have jobs considering how often, and how badly, they blow their forcasts.<p>Anyway, our plow controls are on the dash (up/down and left/right), pretty archaic. Had to take the damn plow in to get a new hose put on since I somehow managed to punch a hole in one of the old ones and lost all my fluid. So much for plowing a two-truck route with three plows. <p>Before I lost all power to the pump because of the fluid I was having the same old problems as always. Plow was O.K. for maybe an hour and then it wouldn't lift on the first try 9 out of 10 times. Then it wouldn't lift on the 2nd or 3rd or...<br>I stuck my head out the window to listen whether or not an audible &quot;click&quot; could be heard when trying to lift the plow - nothing.<br>Solenoid problem maybe? Bad connection at the switch inside the cab? I dunno but we don't feel like sinking any more dough into that old pump. I'm hoping to hell that getting a brand new E-60 next fall will solve all my problems.<br><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey J I am about 1/2 hour from you.I live just outside of Newburgh.I am in Orange County.Stephen where in Sullivan are you?I'd like to shoot it with you guys.I am at 914-778-0501.I hope to hear from you soon.I will try you tomorrow J,it's to late now.<p>----------<br>John D<br>