1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should you plow with a 1500 with the 6cyl

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by blc1, Oct 1, 2008.

1. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

Would that be too much for this truck?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For the home owner who only plows their own drive It will be fine.
    just get a plow that is suited for your truck.
    Take a look at the sno-way & boss line up they both have plows geared for the 1500.

to plow commercially, no.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. Turbo X

Turbo X Junior Member

I live in the north east and my first plow was a 4cyl international with a myers plow that lasted 8yrs until the doors fell off.. next 88 jeep Cherokee 6cyl with a snoway 80" thats lasted 10 years, rust again did it in.. , and now I moved the plow over to my 2000 jeep Cherokee..
    when you learn how to plow snow you can plow anything an 8 cyl can, it's just a matter of how much snow you bit...
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I have plowed with 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl trucks and even with the best operators in both trucks a 4cyl or a 6cyl can not push as mush as a larger truck can It's just simple physics.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a 7' or 7.5' nothing bigger. 6cl has plenty of power.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what are the physics?
    most trucks lose traction before they run out of power.
    some trucks can actually take a heavier or bigger plow with a smaller motor since its less weight on the front end. (kind of why diesels often have issues)

so what are the physics? smaller truck i can see. less weight. less traction. wont plow with a toyata tacoma what you can with a one ton. But a same basic sized vehicle minus a couple hundred lbs of front end weight that can be made up by getting a heavier plow.........
    please explain.
    not to say your wrong but it could be on a case by case basis.
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A big weight rolling along with an power source.
    inertia, stored energy.
    It runs in to friction that increases.(snow)

We can keep the friction co-efficient the same for argument sake and use the same driver also
    The heaver object can over come the resistance with less effort.

What do you think can do more damage to a brick wall a guy on a cycle going 100mph or a 18wheeler going 100mph....
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  8. bribrius

so under that theory. if he puts eight hundred lbs in the back of the f150 it will plow as much as a one ton? equal weight right?
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

How many pounds do you think you can put on a 1/2 ton truck?
    not as much as you might think.
    Why not put a 10ft plow on it too. ;)

If the 150 is such a good plow truck why doesn't the Dot use them to plow the freeway with.

It's kind of like driving a spike with a tack hammer.. tink tink......
  10. bribrius

i would guess around 1300lbs. to keep under what they are rated.

but lets get back to your physics lesson. can you explain why the six cylinder wont work?
  11. Turbo X

Turbo X Junior Member

first off guys,, the question was he had a 1500 Chevy 6 cyl and would like to put a plow on it... and I am sure he's not going down the interstate to plow. any more than you taking your international 5 ton to do his drive way.. each has there own place, and each will out perform the other in there own environment.
    that being seed,,, the answer is YES , I would put a plow on a 1500 6 cyl.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

His question was answered:waving:

You have no basis to make that recommendation.
    Do you know what he is going to use it for?

The op asked a vague question that can not be answered with one answer.
  13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

AAAA commercial plowing means you take money for plowing.payup

I plow only driveways for moneypayup 96, of them, that makes me commercial... I use a jeep wrangler, have for 22 years.

You want me to use a 3/4 ton truck for driveways:dizzy:

Has anybody asked WHAT KIND OF PLOWING HE INTENDS TO DO??????

I meen if he is going to plow a sidewalk thats 4 ft long he is a litle overkill however if he wants to plow Logan Airport even a 3/4 ton wont work.
  14. bribrius

it doesnt really matter we are just arguing for the fun of it.
    thanks for joining in.

I had assumed he was planning on plowing freeways from i95 boston to canada but i could be wrong.
  15. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I've plowed with a variety of trucks over the years:

chevy v8
    international scout 6 cyl
    3 rord rangers 6 cyl
    3 toyota tacomas--2.2 and 2.7 liter 4 cyl.

As a general statement, the worst truck I ever used was the v8 chevy. Biggest piece of crap on the road in my opinion ---sucked gas like it was going out of style, noisy and frankly one of the few vehicles I ever got stuck in. Hands down the best plow truck was the international scout...never drove a jeep but if its anything like a scout its almost un stoppable.

I focus on residentials now and overall I find the toyota to be the best fit. Although I plow with the storm when possible Ive been caught behind and had to push up to 14" of snow. I feel very comfortable up to about 8" of really heavy wet stuff. Beyond that, I really need some weight in the bed.

The grunt of a v8 is hardly necessary under any condition. The weight argument means nothing as you can load it in the bed. In short, a 4 popper can adequately push almost anything you need to. If it can't, you better start thinking about the strain you're putting on the rest of the vehicle when you're using it like a bulldozer.

One more thing.... use 4 low instead of high and plow at a decent rate....gearing makes all the difference in the world so why not use it? In short, its easier on the engine and transmission overall. Most guys seem to use 4 high ---you can push a lot faster...I figure it like this---time is money but its not a race. The extra 1 minute you save per drive isnt worth the cost of a clutch. Its up to you.

So can you use the 6 cylinder truck---sure....just dont treat it like its a bulldozer and you'll be fine. Just make sure to check the alternator to make sure its adequate for the plow drain.

One more thing----if you look at the angle pistons on a homesteader plow, you might want to look at other plow brands. Depending on what you're doing and the type of snow you get, almost any truck and or plow will work if you treat it properly. If you buy a used truck and or plow, make sure to change the hydraulic fluid before plowing for the year....a lot of people never do and the next guy is left holding the bag.
  16. Turbo X

Turbo X Junior Member

lol ,, I am not recommending he go out and buy a 1500 6 cyl, It is a chevy you know? :eek: the tail end will slide all over the place :rolleyes: there nothing like a JEEP ussmileyflag.

if I am not mistaken,, are we not in the NO-COMMERCIAL snow removal section...for what a be snow plowers...
  17. bribrius

good post.

except i have a v8 chevy.... wah. wah. :cry:
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I khow;) I should have left the last line out;)
    That's why i told him that it would work (maybe)
    He could have a 2 mile drive that looks like the Rubicon for all we know..

yes you can plow with a jeep.

you can put 500# in a yota but you can put 1k in a 3/4 ton + a 1k plow.
    no way it can push as much ain't happening..
    and yes a big heavy motor will help keep the truck planted.

now relax the solid front axle todas could push some snow but i would never put a plow on my ifs 4runner.
  19. Turbo X

Turbo X Junior Member

I agree with you on the international scout, it went where no other truck would go , and it would plow snow, the low end on it was superb.. wheel base made the difference for moneving... good truck..
  20. bribrius

my chevy has ifs!
    damn. dont slam my truck all at once now. lol.
    agree on the scout.