1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should this really have gone against both of my insurance policies?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Jguck25, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This has been bugging me for quite some time now, and I don't think what my insurance company did was right.

for insurance i just use an insurance agency company who i I pay, and then they get me all the policies iI need from other companies.

so fall cleanups two years ago i was using a backpack blower to clean off a small parking lot and while i was backing up i accidently bumped into a guys truck with the backpack blower and put a tiny black scuff mark. Well needless to say the guy said it was " 2000 worth of damage" which was absolutely insane so i just had it go through my insurane

this should go through my general liability policy right? Because they said it did go through my gen lib but it also raised my rates for my two trucks.... but iI didn't find this out until a year later when I went to insure my wrangler. The rate was really high and I asked the agent why and she said BC of my claim the year earlier... and I said no that was for general liability because iI made that damage with my body, the truck wasn't even near the parking lot. She said it didn't matter, any claim at all for anything makes all of my rates go up.

does that make any sense?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

no it doesnt make sence, I hate insurance co's
  3. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

J, that is not how things work. If you had a general liability claim, that would have zero impact on your other insurance policies...truck or anything else (ok..maybe the umbrella if you had one). You should have this discussion with an agency principal for clarification. If you get the same response...time to look around for better representation. Good luck.
  4. billyyy42

billyyy42 Junior Member

Question to your problem

If I had to guess, your company is a DBA. John Doe doing business as ABC Snow removal. If thats the case, than your own personal name is on the reports that other carriers run to see what, if any claims you had. If your company is a corporation that would not happen. If you are operating as a DBA it's time to man up and spend the money and get incorporated. There are a million good reasons to be Incorporated. Research it for yourself.