1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should there be washers inbetween the pump motor and housing?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 6, 2010.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i cannot use it without the washers because the shaft bottoms out just before the bottom of the motor touches the top of the housing (or at least the part inbetween the housing and motor)

2. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

If it an Ultramount, there is a pin on the motor that has to line up with a hole in the housing.

3. birddseedd

conventional. there is kind of a notch at the top of the shaft that fits into the motor, but when sat on it there is a gap between the motor and housing.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

the pump is not sitting down all the way onto the pump shaft The only thing between the housing and the pump is a gasket

5. birddseedd

thats the thing, it is bottoming olut on that shaft and will not go all the way to the housing. im thinking the pump is not the correct one for the housing

6. twinman326

Q: did you remove the "pump" from the housing??

If so there maybe something underneath the pump and you did not notice it when you re-install the pump. Or the pump is not sitting flush on the bottom of the housing.

If you change the pump for whatever reason, you might have the wrong one (which I don't believe they made two different type, one with a shorter or longer shaft)

7. birddseedd

this is how it was when i got it. the pump just wont come in contact with the housing. the 2 washers keep it flush. but with a gap.

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Is it an older cable operated housing ? Possibly someone installed a later pump into an earlier housing .

There is a small "tab" under the pump that has to be ground flat before the later pump can be installed , grind the tab flat , flush the sump well to remove all grinding debris and reinstall the pump .

TOM

9. birddseedd

thats what i figured, but wanted to check before grinding on it. i may take some pictures.

it works, just leaks if tiped over too much

10. twinman326

Make sure you change the gasket between the housing and the motor

11. birddseedd

i talked to a guy at the shop, he said there is supposed to be a peice there inbeteen the motor and the housing. unfortantuly its a part that cannot be ordered by itself.

so ill either fab the peice, just cut the metal to shape and put in the equivlent holes,
    run a bead of silicone around the gap
    or leave it the way it is since it doesent leak unless i tip it up.

12. twinman326

13. birddseedd

i replaced that gasket when i got the setup, but that diagram doesent show another part that is installed on mine. where the gasket goes, there is kind of a "plate" with a rubber seal going around the motor shaft. above that is the gap. the gasket is inbetween that plate and the housing.

14. birddseedd

the oil seal is messed up, perhaps thats where the oil is comming from, not specificially because there is a gap.

15. twinman326

16. birddseedd

ya i looked at them. im wondering if this motor isent for a different pump but happend to fit. i ono

17. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If the original motor was of the design that a spacer was used between the motor and sump housing, the motor will need to be updated to the later style motor. The shaft on the later style pump is longer and even with the spacer there will still be a gap.

Originally on the cable units with the original pump and motor there was a thin spacer under the motor , you cannot replace the pump with the later style pump (only one avalible) without grinding down the tab in the sump and replacing the motor with the later design, or you could fab a thicker plate the dimensions of a gasket in the thickness required , be sure the pump shaft is not bottomed out on the motor drive end.

I am sorry , I thought the pump AND the motor were replaced , I didn't realize you had an earlier style motor and a late style pump.

TOM

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  18. birddseedd

i didnt know either.

i guess ill just use the washers and some silacone to keep deprits and moisture out of the housing.