1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should slope and bad location be a factor in Price?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jonw440, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I looked at a "potential" new customer. They have there own plow truck, but Husband is away during the week. If plowable snow happens during the week they want me to plow. If it happened on the week end the Husband can do it.
    The DIRT driveway is on a blind curve and it goes uphill for about 100' then continues up some more with a right hand bend. They only want me to plow one swipe up and backdgrag by garage then push next to barn.
    I have never had to price an uphill driveway.
    Would the hill come in to play for estimate?
    Or just price as a long drive?
    I was thinking 45-50.00.
    Most average driveways around here get $30-35 maybe $40.

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

If you go by the theory...TIME = MONEY...then I would say yes.

Usually, not always, when dealing with a steep slope or significant incline it takes longer to do the drive.

As for the "just do it during the week" I wouldn't have come out and gave a price. I would say that you can call me on an as needed basis and get the on-call price. this is just how I handle things. My two cents...

3. drplow

drplow Senior Member

if its harder, takes longer and is unlike many other driveways, then by all means, charge more.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, difficulty is a factor in pricing. Going with your figure of $35 for typical 100' drive with some backdragging, I'd say half again (at least) if the whole 100' is uphill and curves.

Uphill is definately more difficult and harder on your truck than level. I've got one I picked up cause it was too steep for the regular guy with the 1/2 ton. What are they calling a "plowable snow" - beware of the 5-8" trigger. If it's very steep with curves, it takes a little more savvy than straight and level. Being gravel will only compound the difficulty.