1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I use Skid Plates with plate?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by tsafa, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

Hi all. I just got new plow blade. It came with adjustable skid plates. I see a lot of people don't even use them.

Right now I have them set so that the blade is half and inch off the ground. Someone told me to take them off.

Opinions? Thanks

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well they are called skid shoes If you cleaning pavement you don't want them on

3. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

Ok.... should I put them on if plowing over gravel... or not bother?

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yes need them on gravel
    You can run them on pavement to help slow wear down on the cutting edge But once you wear out the edge the shoes will have to be replace So extra cost each time

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I only use them on unfrozen gravel, once it's frozen and plowed a couple of times you really don't need your shoes.

6. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

Thanks of the good advice everyone.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Even on gravel they're not really necessary, just lift the blade slightly.

8. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

We only use them on thawed gravel roads, we never use em on asphalt and once the gravel is frozen solid, there is really no reason to use them.