1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I use my plow shoes???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 90pioneer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

I've never plowed before but I bought a new Boss Power V plow the other week.

It has mounting points for plow shoes. The dealer I bought it from said I don't need them so they didn't install them, or even give them to me with the plow :/

Another guy locally who has done a lot of plowing says I should definitely go back and get them because they can be adjusted to keep the blade slightly off the ground so it's not just dragging when in float mode.

I will be plowing on both pavement and gravel...

What do you think?

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I think you should leave them at the dealer unless your plowing alot of stone drives.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They don't give you shoes any more ,you have to buy them.

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Put them on if you have any grass you might be catching. I alwyas run them till the ground freezes. But I only do resi. Never on a customer, but on my own, I caught about 5" of grass and peeled her right back! LMAO. So, I run shoes till it freezes!

5. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

They were attached to the plow I purchased when I look at it before they installed it on my truck....

6. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

I think some dealers still include them when ordering. My new vxt had them this year but look here.. http://www.bossplow.com/power-v-xt-plows , under specs, it lists that they are optional.

7. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I used to do a lot of gravel ~ including my own driveway and some gravel roads and a parking lot. I picked up the shoes, thinking I would need them, and the only thing I've used them for after the first season was to help weight down a walk-behind plow that was helping to spread gravel in my driveway (and even then, I gave up on that plow and used a skid steer to do the job...)

I've found that the right touch on the controls can have much better results even in gravel that's not frozen. The shoes still tend to gouge trenches, especially when there's slope and angles involved.

8. Snown13

Snown13 Junior Member

I just bought a 9'2 boss vxt and never considered getting shoes. Had them on my last plow and never even put them on.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

No, I would not bother going back to get them. They will still tear into soft grass, gravel, etc.

10. jhoser_2000

jhoser_2000 Junior Member

The only thing they are good for is storing your plow so your cutting edge is off the ground.