1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I take it

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dfdsuperduty, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Ok here is the deal I had a paving company contact me and want to bid on one of their lots. They told me it usually takes about 20hrs for them to do and that is spread out between 4 trucks so 5hrs per truck. here is my problem they want me to do it and then they would "manage" the contract .:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I would be responsible for salting, obtaining salt (which should be fun) etc.... Here is the best part I have never delt with them so I arranged a meeting for today at 1230 20 mins before the meeting was to start I get a phone call saying oh I can't make just shoot me a price. I am nervous about taking this job and waiting and waiting for pmt. I would appreciate any and all feedback

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Do the same to him and see if he'll apreciate it. IMO, If your gut feeling is to stayu away, then do so. I'd try to reschedule an appt with him, meet him, feel him out, ask him some questions, see what kind of answers he gives you, and then take it from there. I'd explain to him that you, dont just give out pricing without meeting the client and if he doesnt like that, screw him- as he's probably just another smartass trying to get a feel for competitors pricing.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There skimming off the top. Sounds like they are going to try and write off more then what they are going to pay you. And a few other things they are going to try and pull.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

well duh.

isn't that why everyone subs out work?
    LOL:jester:

5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I would look at the lot and figure your time to do it. You do not know if the time the company said to do it was actual time spent there or they where move time from one job to another.

How long will it take to get paid ?

6. grandview

Read it is one of their own lots.So they are going to report a cost of 500,000 and pay you 100,000 (ex).

7. bribrius

you mean like if i hire out someone to plow my rental and i still write off the snowblower and plow as a expense?

who cares. it is their audit. not his.

8. grandview

And they come right to your door to check your books just to make sure.

9. bribrius

well. this gv i know made me do it. here is his address. he told me to file like this and if i had any problems to send the people to his house.purplebou

10. grandview

More headaches and lawyer costs to you ,so is it worth it?

11. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Yep, I agree, and just because they "can do it in 20 hrs" doesn't mean they are telling the truth. Figure out what it would take you to do it, and charge accordingly. Sounds fishy to me, I wouldn't spend too much time on it until he was at least willing to talk it through with you in a face to face.

12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I've probably lost alot of opportunities w/ my mentality but here it is; If they can't spend the 1/2 to 1 hour with me for the season to get things explained (in detail) than I can't spend the time w/ them! He's obviously shopping alot too /b/c he's not really interested in taking them time to find out about u and quality but rather, just wants a price. Don't waste your time.
    Its like in the lawncare end of things. I will not waste my time with a person who requests a bid and then says "just leave it in the mailbox/door". What a waste.:yow!:

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Im the same way If i put a hour or two into a plow quote the customer is going to give me 15 mins to present the quote and sell my company

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

If he can't start a relationship by meeting you in person, then it probably isn't worth the time... invested there anyways. Does the guy really even have the contract? Try to meet with him again and if he balks, go after the account and come in around 20 hours if you think it's accurate.