1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I Stay or Should I Go ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Dec 26, 2009.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

OK, here is the situation i am in...

The company i sub for just does not have enough work to keep me busy. I'm averaging 3 hours per night and this is actually by design. My boss really doesn't want to pay any one, not just me, for more then 3 hours. The current route i am on i can get done with in 2 1/2 hours by myself. We have 3 other trucks on this route as well.

I run all brand new equipment, fully insured, reliable, am the first to show up for work and beg for more work when I'm done. Still I'm left out in the cold so to speak. With all the lost account the company i work for had this year, New drivers that claim they can get accounts are getting priority over proven hard working drivers. Basically what it all boils down to is I'm just not making enough money at my current job.

Now i don't want to leave, I am very loyal , Love every one i work with and even the owner but none of that pays the bills. I'm kinda lost and not sure what i should do. Should i look for a company that can get me the hours i need or stick around and hope things get better next year ?
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Stay and GO

Stay and take his 3 hours and go land some of your own accounts...........fill your time with accounts for yourself and in a year or two you will get more hours from one or the other........

your allready paying for insurance and the equipment..........next step is getting busy with it.

Good luck:salute:
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I would like to but it would really screw over my route manager and friend. I don't want to bad mouth the other guys on my route but It's me that picks up the pace when we get the bigger storms or need to hurry up. If i were to do my lot's then take off he would be screwed. Actually the route would be fine but he would be stuck doing double the work he does now. As a friend, I don't want to do that to him. It's basically either a stay or go situation.
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Have that conversation with him, tell him your stuck but you value the work and friendship........ask him " what would you do?"
  5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'm confused now. You said they only had 3 hours work that you can complete it in 2 1/2. I would think you could take on another 3 hours and still be capable of keeping up with the big storms for your friend.

Are you a sub or an employee? As a sub contractor you are essentially a contractor with every right to take on more work to make your business profitable.
  6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

He wants me to stay, I have already talked to him and he knows if i go he is going to have 1 giant head ache for the rest of the season. He try's to get me more hours but it's not really his call. Hell he even tells me to slow down half the time because I'm getting every thing done to fast ! I guess i could milk the clock but I'm not like that. I get out there and go full speed until it's done.

Anyway, He understands why I'm pissed and want to leave, I have a $40k truck and $5k plow to pay for and 3 hours a night just aint going to cut it. Especially when there is 5" of snow on the ground , like right now, and my boss / owner is sending his $15 an hour guys out to do my lots !
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

that's my point they are not "your lots" if someone else is plowing them while you sit.....make sense?

Do you sub contract or get paid cash or are you an employee........what's the scoop?
  8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion, I am a sub contractor but i basically am the 2nd route manager. If my route manager can't make it on time or can't show up for some reason. I am the one that get's every one going. I basically do his job. Also because I'm done with my lot's before the other guy's finish their first i go and help them. I will run around and check on the other guy's. Make sure no one is sleeping :p I do a hell of a lot more then just plow my lot's. I like doing it so it's no big deal.

I don't think i would be able to juggle what i do at my current job + my own lot's. Some times I'm out there just running the lanes keeping every thing open. Usually I'm by myself when i do that. I couldn't do that + my own lot's some where else... all though i would like to.
  9. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

So are you saying you get paid for 3 hrs worth of work and you actually do more like 6-8 hrs worth of stuff for this guy by plowing other lots and supervising his staff?
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he doesn't want to give one guy to much in case he jumps ship. If someone does leave the others could pick up the slack then. Finish out the year with him then get your own stuff and tell him if he's in a jam you'll try and help out.
  11. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Seems to me that you could take on more work still if your not babysitting his employees
  12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Its late in the game to be looking for work. I wouldnt bail till I had something solid lined up for sure. I know the sub game around here well. They tell ya its your route, promise all the hours you want, then call ya out only when they really need help to make 7am contract deadlines. When I subbed I had two gigs, one with a set route (it was priority) that took 5 hours for up to 4-5", when I finished there, then I went and helped my roofer buddy who had to much work, and not enough trucks. I was an hour ***** for sure then. Got paid two different rates too.
    It was nothing to work 20 hours on a 3-6" back then.
    Try to find a second gig. It works as long as contractor number 2 knows number one comes first. I worked for $20 less per hour for number 2, but also heard no bitching when I logged 10 hours.
  13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Pretty much so ya. I get my lot's done in a couple hours going slow. Then help others finish their lots + run around checking lots to make sure every thing is done right while my route manager get's salt. I get paid for the time i am there. I'm not going to give 3 hours of work for free. Sadly i do all that in about 3 hours. Kick the other 3 trucks off my route and i can get the entire thing done in a big storm in about 6 hours and actually make a little bit of money. Right now i do my lot's then watch over a few other guys and help my rout manager out. It's the only way i can even get my 3 hours a night.
  14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Quit whining and go get some extra jobs near the lots you attend to.

If your friend is really a friend, he'll understand or perhaps even give you a gig as a sales/bids-man.
  15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Just to add to all of this. The reason I'm getting really pissed off over this is because at 2PM today i watched a company truck plow my lot's ! Now tonight I'm going to have maybe a couple inches of snow to push and will be done in under 2 hours. The rest of my time will be spent doing every one else job. The only way i will break 3 hours is if this storm lasts well into tomorrow morning.
  16. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

It may be too late to just jump ship this year. I wouldn't be doing any more favors by looking after / making sure everything is done for this company. Look after number one and find more work for yourself this season or next and get your eggs out of only one basket. If you are really a "2nd route manager", you should have more say as to who does what and when. It can't be profitable or even worthwhile driving around with the plow in the air looking after some one else's business for them.
    Friends or not, if you allow someone to take advantage of you, 9 times out of 10 they will.
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Business is business. Figure out what's in you and your family's best interest.
  18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Forgive me, when i first typed all this out and asked the question. I was exhausted , pissed off and some things might have gotten a little confusing. I have trouble conveying things when i type it out.

My route manager, a friend, he fight's to get me out there and give me hours. I help him out because It gives me extra time. If i go check on some one after I'm done with my lots I'm still on the clock. Otherwise i would just be done. So my route manager is not in anyway taking advantage of me. It's the owner of the company that is sending the company trucks out to do my lot's. It's the owner that only wants us out there for 3 hours. It's the owner that lost accounts and put way to many trucks on our route.

Anyway, thx for the advice guy's. I am going to call up some of the larger snow removal companies in my area and see if they can get me a little more then 3 hours a night. If they can I'm going to move on. If not then i will stay where I'm at for the rest of this year and work on getting my own accounts next year. :)
  19. Deco

Deco Senior Member

dont leave until a better gig is confirmed . this economy enables the employer to "pick n choose."THEREFORE ,hang in there .
  20. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Sounds to me you know what to do deep down. Like someone else said, "business is business and friendship is friendship".