1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I replace the rubber cutting with steel on my 12ft box?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve b, Oct 26, 2008.

1. steve b

steve b Member

Trying to save on salt. Will only use on lots with no obstructions. Has anyone changed over and had any problems?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it doesn't trip, I would stay with the rubber, you would be surprised how much a blade trips even on good lots. I know some guys do put steel on but it's not something I would do so it's strictly my opinion.

3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Plus, it seems the rubber would flex more to follow the contours of the pavement. Even on a good lot, at a 12' pass width, there are going to be imperfections. I think the rubber might actually clean better for that reason.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It woun't unless it's powder snow and hasn't been driven over, steel trip is far superior then rubber. JMO again.

5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Stick w/ rubber ! A steel edge without trip will not scrape as clean or go over small imperfections in the pavement. A steel edge has no give, so if you hit a manhole cover or whatnot it can cause damage.

6. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Member

We have switched our rubber blades to steel....We are able to scrape and remove hard back. We h ave some pretty heavy duty pushers...I also work at college were we take care of our grounds so we do fix manholes. cracks etc... and know the ground we are plowing well. Just my two cents.

7. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

we tried rubber up here on the state highways and it made more ice but parkinglots might be diffrent