1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I plow with my 01 chev 1500 V6 4x4?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lobsters, Mar 1, 2009.

1. lobsters

lobsters Junior Member
    from maine

Is it a bad idea to attatch a plow to my truck? I'd love to hear ideas and suggestions on what plow and modifications are needed ie., coil springs,trans cooler,etc. I'll will use local,maybe 6 driveways at the most. Thanks-Chris in Portland ME.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Just dont go with anything to heavy and you should be fine. Try a Blizzard or a snow way. both are under 500 pounds. The snow way has down pressure. Not sure about prices but I would think the snoway would be a little more

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicIf yur thinking 6 driveways youll probably be doing 12, take Big Daves advice and also add a tranny cooler. Make sure you dont shift into reverse when plowing until the truck comes to a full stop. Easy Does It.:salute:

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

My real concern would be that it's a 1/2 ton more than the fact that it's a V6. I usually run out of traction before power. I'm dumping my truck because the rear just went. That's a real week point on the half tons. Not sure what rear an '01 has so maybe it's not a 10 bolt like the 97 I had. You'll also need to do something in the front end or you'll get some good sag I imagine. I had timbrens up front like most people do.

-Jer

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would honestly recommend finding a 3/4 ton truck. Just the weight difference is a huge difference, the 1/2 ton could do it but its going to break more

6. lobsters

lobsters Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to weigh the cost of setting up this truck to getting a 3/4 ton ready to go.
    Do you recomend synthetic ATF for plowing hydrallics + trans.??

7. BigDave12768

I have to disagree with Exmark and griptruk. I can fully understand there arguments. The argument of the rear end blowing is more of a v8 issue. You got some good HP and just not a strong enough rear end for it. You have the smae motor as the 3/4 ton. He has the V6 and only wants to do driveways He is not going to be climbing piles.

I agree a 3/4 now a days is always better to have when plowing. But he only wants to do 6 driveways and really isnt putting on a HD plow at all. He is looking a LD type that will out last the Home owner versions

Grip and Exmark have good points. But to go spend a ton of money on a decent 3/4 that may be full of headaches right away doesnt seem to be best idea. Buy the Light Duty plow and see how it goes next season. Then if you want to branch out to subbing and big lots. Then yes you would need a 3/4 ton truck

One other thing Poor Griptrk just missed a bis storm becuase his truck is dead. So he is hating 1/2 tons this week. Still have a chance Friday Grptrk

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. BigDave12768

No Synthetic ATF or any ATF. Buy there fluids. More than likely the Blizzrd will take the Fisher stuff. Since Fisher own them. Myer blue is good

9. lobsters

lobsters Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks Big Dave; I'm kind of leaning towards keeping my 1/2 ton + rigging it up-[the devil you know thing] What about synthetic ATF in the transmission? I use it in my lobster boat trans. gear + like it--Chris

10. BigDave12768

I am sure it cant hurt. But a xtra tranny cooler would go alot further for saving tranny. They are real easy to install. They just splice into the lines

11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

go with a 7'6" Fisher LD or SD whatever its called now. Built just like the lager ones but a lighter blade. I see alot of them on the halfs around here.

12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head, BigDave...

but it's more than the rear blowing, I've spent lots of money on the front end too, enough between the front and rear and other stuff that would have covered the difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton or even 1 ton most likely. As with most people I went with the 1/2 ton because I had it first and then added the plow, plus the tahoe had the big interior space which was nice.

-Jer

13. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I think you hit the nail on the head with that on. When do you want to pay for it?

14. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Ah yes, you are wise. haha! at least if you pay up front you are less likely to be let down when you most need it.