1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I plow today?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Feb 6, 2004.

1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Hey i live in nortwestern New Jersey and i'm looking at my driveway and it's got about 1 1/2 in of slush on it. It is raining right now, i don't know if i should just leave my driveways alone or go out an plow. It's suposed to keep raining all day. Should i wait till later and if the slush is still there should i go plow my drivways?

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The big determinate would be temperatures and what they are forecasted to do. If the temp drops below freezing, you are gone have an inch of frozen crap that probably won't be plowable.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i did my commer accounts

4. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we went out this morning and plowed commercial but didn't touch any driveways. I also am not sure weather or not we should touch driveways later or not.

5. sonnyny

sonnyny Junior Member
    from vermont

I'm up here in Vt. We got about 3" and now it's turning to sleet and ice. I'm going to leave it til later so I can get the layer of ice on top of the snow. This way nobody can blame me for an accident in a ice covered parking lot. Much better driveability and much safer. This makes me a poor plow guy with a clear conscience.:dizzy:

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed all my driveways 2" of HEAVY slush before going to ice and rain its 32 right now so the snow is sticking around and not getting washed away yet. The town plowed my side street and all the main roads. IMO the most important thing to consider when deciding to plow is the weather, slush will freeze solid and become unplowable if its going to get cold. I plow at my own discretion if i ran a big business i would have to have a trigger but i just show up and if they don't want it done i tell them not to call me back to get the ice off the driveway in 2 days.

7. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Started everyone at ten 15 the morning. Of course you take advantage of the plowing now its all slush everywhere so be it. Al of my customers understand that I control when to do it, and when to not. We are pros at what we do just like doctors so make it happen.

8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we ended up only plowing commercial stuff this morning and never touched any drives. By this evening pretty muchh all the slush was gone so now there's nothing realy to plow. Being that it's 35 F out right now I doubt we'll salt in the morning either. Oh well hopefully we'll get another plowable even next week. Keep em' comin payup just this rain stuff sucks :realmad:

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If it's going to get below freezing, I plow all my accounts to prevent the slush from freezing.:waving: