1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I Plow If Only 1.3" of Snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lindenwood, Dec 12, 2010.

1. lindenwood

lindenwood Junior Member

I was thinking about just clearing the walkways by hand and using a little salt? They like to have their sidewalk clear for customers.

I've heard that anything under 2" is not worth plowing. I have a couple of dental offices to plow so any input would be helpful. I use a Boss V Plow

Thanks

2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

If you have to ask... you probably already know the answer. Plow it.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Honestly, it depends on what your contracts say you will do. I will plow as little as 1" in an effort to reduce salt usage if that's what I agree on with my customers. Some customers are willing to pay for both plowing and salting at those low accumulations because they don't want their parking lots to be white salt sheets after a storm. So that's what I'll do, using enough salt to just melt off the residual layer of snow after plowing.

This should have been discussed with them before the snow fell. I would probably play it safe and plow it. Better safe than sorry. It will make you look more professional, and "thorough" as well.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

did you ask your customers when they want plowed?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What does the contract say your trigger is?

6. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

only you can answer that.
    It depends on what you have set up with your client.

7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We are seasonal and the trigger is 1.5" but that basically means anytime there is snow.

If you are per time then.............yeah ............ its whatever you think.

8. AbbottSnow

AbbottSnow Junior Member

we are on seasonal contracts so its on my call because i hold the liability. I would say depends more on the type of snow. if its a light cold snow salt treatments will probably burn in up and save on labor. if its a wet heavy snow you probably need to put the blades down

9. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Exactly! These things have to be afreed upon in the Fall so you don't ever have to ask when to go.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

itll make your company look better if it is cleared after every snow. it all depends on what you agreed on in your cotract though

11. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I would plow a half a inch just to get out there this year!!!

12. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

1 inch trigger, on all sites, but some places are zero tolerance so we are scraping them clean at 1/4 inch or 1/2 before salting. Really all just depends. Some seasonals are set up that under 1 inch just get billed hourly for the work per approval. I know it is all based on area and stuff. But to me a 2" trigger just seems almost useless. At one inch, you need a really heavy salting to melt that snow off and be able to keep the lot wet and black. I would rather just scrap it clean and salt it. Save on the amount of salt you use. I know that it all depends on the contract and stuff

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  13. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Some salt anything under an inch....Others plow and salt depends on client, If you leave it be it will be traveled on then become ice..

It's better to be safe, then sorry when some elderly breaks a leg because you weren't sure what to do..

14. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I would just salt it. I hate plowing small amounts of snow, it looks like you just pack it down and appears glazed over. I use the same amount of salt, with the same results

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Yes it needs to be plowed. It will be a sloppy mess or a sheet of ice if you don't.

16. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

It really depends on the customer. For all of mine they all say 2 inch trigger unless otherwise stated. If they say plow it, then plow it but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

salt the lots, broom or shovel the sidewalks, then lightly salt!

18. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

season=salt it, per time=plow and salt it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

19. Lsanzerr

Lsanzerr Junior Member

I'm going to agree with John, if you have to think twice about it you probably should do it!! Remember your contract and Insurance Liability

20. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I can't see having a 2" trigger on sidewalks! They'd be a mess. Quite frankly, I can't see having anything more than a 1" trigger on plowing lots either, but I have several customers that don't seem to care all that much.