1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by taterntot101, Nov 14, 2008.

1. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

First and foremost, GREAT site. I've found tons of useful info here. Here's the delemia. I bought a house this year, and decided I would need a plow for the drive. After much research, I will be buying a Snowsport to put on my '98 Wrangler. For my own drive, it seems to be the best match. I've been going back and forth whether it would be worthwile to try to take on a handful of residential accounts for some extra income. I've read through as many threads as my eyes can handle, but would really appriciate some firsthand advise. I work full time, as a tractor trailer driver, but the company usually pulls us off the road during storms, so I would have plenty of extra time to plow. The Jeep is in good shape, so I'm not too concerned about mechanics. I've heard both good and bad about the Snowsport, anyone want to toss out a couple more opinions about it? I'm also curious about rates for residential in the Central Mass area. I think I have an idea what I would like to make, but suggestions are welcome. I don't want to lowball and end up taking someones full time work away. I was also wondering about insurance. I have full coverage, but should I have extra? Would someone working part time have to form a full on business, be it a LLC, or Inc.? I guess what I'm wondering is.. If I want to do it right, and do it legal, is it worth it to do part time? I don't want to end up getting burned because I didn't cross t's and dot I's. The other option would be to sub, but I really wouldn't know where to start with that, other than the networking thread. Thanks in advance, and thanks again for a great site!!
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get a plow like a Fisher Home Steader. Snow Sports don't compare to a Fisher Home Steader.
  3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You related to Norway by chance :confused:
  4. taterntot101

I looked at the homesteader, as well as Snoway. Thought a lot of both, but my driveway is mainly dirt/gravel, so I think the rubber edge will do a bit better on it. I have 2 drives from 2 different directions and I live on a bit of a hill. The weight of the plow, and the fact that it's a 4 cyl both had to be considered when I bought it. Thanks.
  5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Where to start....
    Last year I put an '07 6'6" western on a clean, tweaked 90 YJ. It was the best set up I've ever run ( 5 prior sacrifices to the snow gods used anything and everything for plows incl a MM I, 7.5 ft)
    It plowed 35+ events for a total of 14.5 ft, we had to fix 1 weld everything else flawless.
    Today i picked up my 97 TJ where a '08 7'4" Fisher Homesteader was installed. Brought it back to the shop and swapped plows cause I wanted a red/red combo on the 97. The plows are identical except for color and ten inchs. I'm very happy with my choices. Then again I used to run really really beat jeeps with fabbed plows, ya know everything bent dented cracked rusty etc.
    Once you plow your gravel carefully a couple of times you should be able to fly across it plowing.
    What color is your jeep?
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

But you realy need a blade that you can angel. It makes plowing much faster. I plow lots of dirt driveways with a steal cutting edge and it don't hurt the driveway at all.
  7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm sure the dirts fine, but I bet the grass needs work !
  8. taterntot101

My Jeep is Gun Metal Blue, black top, tinted windows... 2nd Wrangler I've had, so far
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Being that you want to do it "part time" I would stay away from it, exspecially if you plan on running a "personal use" plow. I do not know what storms are like in your area, but it can sometimes take a full day or so to get caught back up after the storm is done. Will your job wait for you? Yes, you would need extra insurance, a commercial policy. Not sure about a company name, but I would guess you would for tax reasons. That is if you want to do it legally. But even as a sub, you would need your own commercial insurance.
  10. taterntot101

Thanks for that info, I'm learning, little by little. I'd be willing to guess there might be some other people thinking the same thoughts as me, so all info given is greatly appriciated
  11. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I would like to consider both my plow and my truck to be angels

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It is better to get a better plow to begin with and not have to upgrade later. A 'few" drives will turn into a "few" more next year. Buy a Sno-Way with down pressure and you will be good for many years.
    Sno-Way makes the best "ANGEL" plow anyway......lol
  13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

plowmeister is a member of this site and is a good source for central/western mass. I would go with a snowway if you dont plan on adding to the suspension;Check your front axle weight capacity, if it's rated for 2,000 lbs., your may need to add timbrens because you'll need a capacity of 2,500lbs. In addition, you will need to remove the coils springs to get them bolted in. I think plowmeiser has a v-plow; but his rig is designed for it. I wouldn't go with a homesteader JMO; especially if you plan on resi's. I personally like the hennicker c-plow for back dragging the resi's. Best of luck to you.
  14. taterntot101

Thanks for the sugesstions regarding plows, the info is all appriciated. I'm fairly well set that I'll go with the snowsport, I think that will work best for my drive, which is my first concern. I know some have suggested strongly against using a snowsport, but is there anyone that has tried to use one? Trying to take on a few residential drives, and the legalities that go with it were more or less an afterthought. I'd still like some opinions whether doing it part time, and the costs and insurance that go with it would be worthwhile. Since I already work full time, I wouldn't want to take on more than what would be reasonable. Thanks
  15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would stay away from doing it "part time" as if you do it right with the insurance, it would be hard to break even at the very least.
    Plus, usually you have to be able to plow anytime, as alot of people will not wait until you feel like getting there. They may want it done by 7am or something. Lots of hassel for a part time gig.

16. taterntot101

Thanks, appriciated
  17. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

just to give you an idea on what insurance will cost, i pay 1200 a year for a commerical general liability coverage. Then the next step for you would be start a llc. in ct its 250 a year to renew an llc then you have to pay the secretary of the sate to file the biz $60 and then the irs to start a tax id #. $50 good luck with whatever you decide, but ill throw in another vote for a snow way, there really growing on me :D