1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I mix my Calcium Chloride (a month long headache of deicing)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by go_snow, Dec 18, 2012.

1. go_snow

go_snow Junior Member

Picked up a commerical De-icing job for a local, but large salad dressing company. New to the deicing business, and have been searching long and hard for the best product. For the past month, I've been laying down bagged rock salt with an atv (company only wants about 400lbs of rock salt per time). This means carrying 8 bags of salt on ATV = Real pain in the ass.

Today, I decided to try something new. I used 3 bags of straight calcium chloride. Amazingly enough, the 3 bags seemed to do about the work of the 8 bags of rock salt. This means less carrying of bags and less transferring (less time = more money).

Now, the real question, should I mix the dry calcium chloride with rock salt, to try to increase my small amount of profit, or leave it straight calcium (both dry products).

Mods, If this is the wrong forum, please tow.

Thanks in advance, A.J.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

here in cleveland one 50lb bag of calicum is $11.75. one bag of rock salt is $4.25. so doing that math it comes out to $34 for the 8 bag os rock salt and $35.25 for the 3 bags of calcium. Hence if I did that here I am losing money using the calcium. But the time you save and less work struggling with the 8 bags should make up the difference in the increase in material cost. If 3 bags works then go with that. You may mix and be able to get better results and lower you material costs, but you will most likely have more bags on your atv again and more time having to make the mix. It could go either way.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Has it been REALLY cold? If so that's why the salt hasn't been working well, you can use calcium or mag to jump start the salt. Probably not really gaining much if you can get away with 3 bags

4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

your goal is perfection . you have acheived it . calcium , at that amount

5. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

This is a joke...He only wants 400 pounds........Are you a snow and ice removal company or are you an employee....He only wants ...yea right...do the job whatever it takes to complete...send the bill

6. go_snow

go_snow Junior Member

Thank you for the responses fellas. I didn't know if rock salt could improve the performance of calcium at all. Sounds like 100% calcium will do the job the best with the least amount of product. I might toy around with some mixtures and see if I can't cut cost a little. It hasn't been too cold around northern Idaho as of late. Once again, thanks for you time.

7. Spool it up

were very good at deicing , sending bills and getting paid . point taken on cheating where you can . it's a no brainer . calcium burns faster and works faster in 20* temps and below . or you already knew that . were talking (3) THREE bags .

now , whats the point if Im an ownwer or an employee ? we probably purchase and store more unused material each year than you use in 2 .
    you only have 3 vehicles in your fleet ? jokes on you , cheif

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Got me thinking

Does anyone mix in a bag or so of calcium with their BULK salt for a jump start in colder weather with good results? if so at what rate per ton?
    Are there any gallon jugs of material you use to pre wet bulk?( cheep, something like ww fluid)?

9. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Sorry , It wasn't my intention to sound critical about you, and I do apologize for that as I was drinking when I replied, so what I meant to say was....... are you HIS employee...never understood someone telling me how much product to apply since the amount of snow to melt and temperature... changes the amount of product needed to get the job finished ..
    But since you decided to shoot back I will say with all your experience in snow removal and De-icing one would think you already knew the answer to your question . The amount of unused product you store in a year seems to have no relevance on your knowledge of how its used ..and I never said cheat anyone out of anything but its nice to know where your thoughts are...Yes I only have 3 trucks and zero debt...but what I do should not bother you as much as it seems to, I do quite well and have since 1990
    So over the years I have learned its not how many toys you have, but rather its what you do with them that matters, I also learned that storing product in the off season makes zero dollars for you in the off season....but I'm sure you already knew that as well...
    So like I said I apologize for replying to your post while I was under the influence and I did not mean to sound as critical as I sounded So sorry:gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

10. Spool it up

again , if I have to splain to you why there is unused material , and go into detail about sensitive information and business practices Im wasting my time .

I cut my teeth in this business when I was a child in the 70's , and I still pick up tricks of the trade other guys on here throw out there . My goal is to work smart , not hard .Like John Wayne used to say ,"Life is hard , it's harder if your stupid "

Apology accepted