1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I leave the cover on my pump?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by WetChicken, Dec 25, 2006.

?

Should I keep the cover on my pump?

1. Leave it be.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cut it off

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

The pump on the plow I just bought has a molded rubber cover on it. I am curious if anyone else uses one, and if I should keep it on.
    Experience tells me that keeping it on would just let the moisture stay in there and rot the housing thus reducing the life of it.

Thanks

Jason

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

No, I would not. The plow I had also had that stupid rubber housing on it. Let me tell you it is a pain in the ass to try to fix something on the job when that thing is hardened by the cold, and has a layer of snow/ice on it. I talked to my local dealer about that housing and he said to tear it off. He showed me a one year old pump that had that housing on it, it was bad. Corrosion out the wazoo. I guess it is just a personal preference really. Me, I would tear it off.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The cover will prolong the life of your pump but,you gotta pull the cover off and clean it out every so often or it will trap the dirt and moisture under it.Some guys spray the entire pump with Fluid Film before installing the cover. I do agree though that they are a pain in the a$$ to work on with the cover on,but I still thing it's worth it. :)

4. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

So, exactly what does that cover protect the pump from?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The cover will help keep most of the weather/snow off the pump.It mostly protects the joint between the motor and the motor mounting plate which is a commom corrosion area on the E60 pump's and also will help to protect the coil's too.