1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I invest in a thrower or wait?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Feb 11, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

It takes me about 10-15 minutes hustling to shuvel a 2-wide driveway of 30 ft and small walkway with only a shuvel when it's 4-6 inches. Is that faster than a $500-700 thrower
    ( 5-10 hp) could do? I saw a guy on the other side of me using one he said he paid $1,300 for and I almost beat him with only my shuvel! Granted, it's more work, but I work out a lot so it's not too much to me. I've heard that a thrower will move 12 inches of snow just as fast as 6 inches. If this is so, then anything over 6 would surely be better off using a thrower vs a shuvel. thanks in advance 4 any advice!

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

you can either work harder and use the shovel or invest a little for a good snowblower and save time and do more accounts and make more money in the long run personally i would pick up a snow blower in the range of 5 hp and one that is leightweight so its easy to throw in and out of the truck

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

ramps?

Really? So can like 2 guys lift a 5hp unit out of a truck or would ramps be necessry?
    Thanks again man!

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I will give you my honest opinion. If you are doing good bustin ass this season with a shovel, good stick with it. It keeps you with no overhead. Just think, you will spend that money and there is like a month or so left of winter. I would save all the cash I can now, and go buy a small truck, like a ranger or an S10. These things are a dime a dozen used. Then get a small plow for it, like a sno-way. Then you can do alot more work, and be able to expand your services next season

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Two options. 1 finish out the season with shovels and buy an end of the season blower at one of the big box stores at a greatly reduced price. or 2 go out and spend $500-$1000 on a blower tomorrow. I was in the same situation 2 years ago and waited til the end of the season ans got a $900 blower for $450. Good Luck!

6. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

If I did pick up a little S-10 or something, would that be safe to put a plow on it? And furthermore, would it be safe to do driveways? Do most customers not mind? What does it take, about 1-5 minutes with a plow? I seen a man doing it by me the other day. It felt funny. I was out there bustin' my but to get it done in 10-15m and it took him only like 3m. But, then like u said, I had no truck, plow, or insurance costs, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

7. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

You call Brent Oldschool?

RCGM
    Brad

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bet your driveway was much cleaner with the shovel then his with the truck. Around here most blowers are on sale. At least 20% off so if you have the money it is a good time of year to buy a blower. A single stage Toro is a very good snowblower. Model 3650.

9. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

ideas

Yeah, that's true, it did remove better with the shuvel vs a plow, now that I think about it.
    THanks for the tips on the 20% off too! I'll check into that stuff. Just need to find a little place that rents trucks 'til I can find a good deal on a old goodie. :redbounce

10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Oldschool I PM you a guys number and phone number.He pays around 20 to 25 a hour and you can use his blowers.All you have to do is call and show up he is going to have like 3 days of work.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are you driving now. That Toro will fit in most trunks. One man can lift it very easily. It has a 20" clearing path.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

An S10 would be fine for plwoing snow. There are a few guys here who use them and love them. The sno-way is great cause it has the down pressure feature, so it will get a drive real clean

13. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

re-job opp

Heh, I appreciate the offer and all. I didn't get the # the first time. I'll take it down anyway. However at the present I've been building up a desent amount of clientel and most often than not I'm clearing more than that on my own. That's a really good income though! Thanks!
    purplebou

14. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

OK just wanted to make sure you got it.I would wait on a blower winter is going to be over after this storm I bet.Have fun out there shoveling wear layers it is going to be 45 MPH wind gust gonna be just like Grand Rapids a few weeks ago and I know you loved that :D

RCGM
    Brad

15. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I doubt it's going to be that bad, but then u never know.

16. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Channel 13 just said 12 plus inches al snow no freezing rain gusting wind going to be blizzard like conditions.Said this storm is going to make the other 2 we just had look like flurries.

RCGM
    Brad

17. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Well, this oughta be lots of fun! Only wish I had a nice plow!!! Maybe next year!

18. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The phrase "work smarter, not harder" comes to mind. Yes, working with just a shovel is fine but IMHO, you are limiting your productivity. Even spending $500 for a mid sized single stage snow blower will save you time and you will be able to at least triple your productivity! Plus, you won't be as tired after a full day either! wesport

19. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

jr is right

i would get a small blower like the toro... light, fast very clean sweep( rubber edge) let a machine do the work so you same your body... im 21 and i can shovel pretty fast but why should i bust my ass when you can spend 4-500 dollars and save ur back.... is you back not worth $500?????

thats just the way i think.. the small truck is a great idea sno-way blade and a small blower perfect set up for drives..

good luck

20. GBRONNE

GBRONNE Junior Member

Home Depot Has Them For 1/2 Price, And If Theres A Recon Outside, It's Another 100.00 Off= 200.00!!!!, Yes Great For Walkways, And Sidewalks, But Only Up To About 6 Inches, I Dont Know What Your Expecting. Gb