1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I give up plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bkane73, Oct 10, 2003.

1. bkane73

bkane73 Junior Member

Decisions...decisions. We'll, after 4 years of plowing with a 7.5 ft
    Meyers on a F350 4x4 I sold the truck. I bought the plow used, thats why its so small on F350. I used the snow plowing
    as an incentive to my get dumpster customers as I owned a garbage business servicing commercial contracts. Sold the business. Still have the plow though! Should I put it on new 03 Hemi 1500 4x4, probably to big for 88 Jeep Cherokee w/ suspension mods? Or give it up to the big boys?

2. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

well that would be a hard choose for you, maybe you should just keep the plow even if there is a BIG SNOW STORM :dizzy: then you would be wishing you did't sell that PLOW!!

new 03 Hemi 1500 4x4 would do fine. if you doing plow business you would want have 1 or 2 more plow truck if one goes down for repairs..

my self have only one truck right now so I am moving to omaha city and am looking in doing plowing, I would look in working with other plow business first before doing my own. sure other truck for a back up would be a must.

:drinkup: snowing yet?

3. bkane73

bkane73 Junior Member

Thanks for replying. Its a small town and a friend of mine has most of the work under contract. I only have 4 parking lots to handle and it doesn,t take long on any of them. When I,m done I usually sub off from friend as he usually gets more than he can handle. It's not a major source of income for me, just an excuse to be out in the snow. The main thing is my dad is maintenance manager at the mall and he depends on me to clear the mall parking lot. Thats the main reason I bought the plow because dad got tired other plowers showing up after mall was already open.

4. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

yeah here you go.. :drinkup:

I wish I was in your shoes!

5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

BKane,
    If you have a decent amount of work, why not hang with it. Most any of the name-brand 7.5 ft plows would work well on the 1500. Sell the old plow to someone else. You might want a set of Timbren springs to help with the load. A good plow on that should be a great light to medium use vehicle and not add much wear. If the money is good, hang with it. You already got the basics in the truck. (My most humble, but accurate, opinion.) Post pics when you get it setup.:nod:

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My question would be "Were you making money?"

The same answer here should answer your question.

7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

What about your warranty on the 03 hemi? Hanging a plow on it might void most of it. Unless you already have 70,000 miles on it, or your dealer doesn't care, then go for it.

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Id stick with it if I were you, you already said you like being out in the snow. Like Pelican said above, were you making money doing it? Was it worth it or just a hassle? Also like said above, how about the warranty on the new 03 1500? If they have no problem with you plowing with it, Id get a new plow for the new truck. Sell the old plow, someone will buy it I bet, and start off with a brand new plow, since the truck is brand new too. Well the new plow would be a good idea if you were making money and didnt mind spending money to make money. Mike

9. bkane73

bkane73 Junior Member

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I was leaning more towards using the old meyers plow. My Meyers actually came of a 1 ton Chevy my dad and I modified the mount to use on the Ford. Dad was a welder/ metal worker/pipefitter
    in the 2nd largest shipyard in the U.S. for over 15 years so he's pretty handy when it comes to modification involving metal. However the warranty factor does concern me on the 03 Hemi.
    I have, on the other hand found a Western plow for a jeep that I think I can trade my Meyers for and then use the Cherokee instead, since I plow on a small scale I think this may be the route to go to avoid buying another truck or more plow equipment. As for was I making any money. Last year it only snowwed twice so I only made about around 8 or $900.00 so you can see my reluctancy to invest any more in plowing equip.
    If I can use what I have or trade for something else whether it be the 7.5 on the Dodge or the Western on the Jeep I will continue on.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

For what your making,Id say get out of plowing unless you can secure some contracts with seasonal payment. If you cant gross at least 5K a season average with that truck,it isnt worth it.It isnt worth your time,not to mention the insurance requirements,and hassles of beign ready to plow whether it snows or not.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm with John.If your not making 4-5 K a season minimum,why are you doing it ?

12. bkane73

bkane73 Junior Member

Once again, thanks for the input. Let me start by saying around here, Crossville, Tn., its nothing like where most of you guys are from where it obviously snows alot! What I mean is, here the guys that plow do it as incentives for their lawn care customers. No-one here can depend on plowing as even a good susiduary winter income. Sure they get paid, but the reason they offer plowing is to get the lawn business. As I mentioned before a friend of mine does most of the plowing here and would you believe we've never give more than $300 for a plow(last 2 he bought for $100). I, on the other hand am not in the lawncare business I didnt buy the 03 Hemi to plow with, but because I just wanted a new truck. I didn't even buy the F350 to plow with, I bought it to haul my dumpsters around before I sold the garbage business. I bought the plow cheap so I put it on the Ford. Now it's(Ford) gone. I wouldn't mind putting a plow on the Jeep though, mostly to help my dad with the mall he manages. Right now I have a $300 plow that I've used 4 winters and only made $2 or $3000, and I,ve never done anything to it but change the fluid so I guess I have made at least Christmas money. I look forward to more input!

13. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I would never put an old used plow on a new truck. We always sell the plows with the trucks, then get new plows installed. It sounds like its not really cost effective for you to buy a new plow. I'd get an old beater truck if you just want to plow "part time".

14. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Your market receives 24.4 inches per season on average. Obviously, some years are feast, some famine. If you are not grossing $100 plus per hour in a variable market like that, you are wasting your time. With that being said, SOMEONE has to provide the service when it DOES SNOW. If what they say about the path of heavy precipitation this winter is true, you may have a banner year. On the other hand, nothing is etched in stone.

Also, deicing operations would earn you that much more revenue if you do not already perform them. Honestly, I don't think the real question here is "should I continue plowing?" I feel the real question at hand is, "am I charging enough?" Although winters may be variable in your market, I am fairly confident that I could make a go of it in your market. As I said before, someone will be plowing in that market when it snows. If you are not afraid to ask for what you need to make and stick to your guns, I am confident you can run a profitable business.

Although my market receives similar snowfall amounts to yours, I have reached the point that I only take the lawn work if they award us the snow removal. How is that for a twist???

15. bkane73

bkane73 Junior Member

Maybe I will just give up the plowing by truck.............but, maybe I'll keep my 2 stage blowwer and go out here to Fairfield Glade, a retirement Golfing community 6 miles away and just do driveways as the drives average about 30 feet long and there is about 5000 driveways total. Sounds like a lot of work and I wouldn't know how to charge or if this would be cost effective either. Comments? Anybody need an old Meyers 7.5 ready for a Ford?