1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should I get my plow serviced?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Dec 1, 2004.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

should I get my plow serviced, im clueless here, bought it with the jeep...

I bought a 87 jeep laredo with a 6 1/2 western plow for $1000, when i bought it, the plow was stuck in the up position, i had the cylanoid freed and the hydraulic ram thingie (not sure what its actually called) lubed up.
    i havent done any other work on the plow since, and i hiave also never removed the plow for fear of putting air into the lines.

i have no idea how to maintain the plow or hydraulic pump. im pretty good with cars, so if i get instructions on what needs to be done i could do it, also how do i check the hydraulic fluid level

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Don't worry about getting air in the lines from disconnecting the plow, It will work itself out.
    Use the western link at the top of this page to go to there website and then go to the publications library and download the manual for your plow.

If you have the old plow where the pump stays attached to the truck then this would be your manual.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

service and flush every year or else
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I do not (every few years or so) but I store my stuff inside when not is use and durring off season which make them less prone to drawing moisture.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

there is post about plow abuse on 2 page look at that pump
  6. Tarkus

You can look at mine, it is clean as I am servicing one of them now and changing filters and it all looks great too. I do use syn fluid which does not break down as quickly.
  7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Yearly service is a must.
    This includes draining the cylinders and removing the motor and cleaning out the reservoir and filter.
    You filler plug is located on the left rear corner of your power unit as you are looking at it from the front.
    And as Mebes said don't worry about air getting in the system from disconnecting the plow.
    If you want to take a ride drop the plow and drive up here and I'll show you how to do the service yourself.
    :rolleyes: John............................
  8. Tarkus

Check them yearly but draining cylinders is over kill and I have never had a pump burn out yet in 20 years now so I am doing something right huh?