1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should i get in or forget it ??????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by App SnowRemoval, Nov 23, 2010.

1. App SnowRemoval

App SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from Boone

We are suppose to only get 36" off snow fall this year and i am worried about having enough to plow. I have about 8 accounts which i would make about 500 when it snows 3 inchs or more. I also have been able to hook in with another company to push some more accounts but he only wants to pay 25 an hour and cover fuel. I have a ford f250 and am looking at a boss 8'2" i would think i should aleast get 35 plus fuel but i dont know every where prices differ so much.My question is it worth spending 5500 to get into or not.

2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

why dont you try to find a nice used plow and see how it goes. This year you wont make as much since you will be paying off the plow but next year will be all profit and you can possibly pick up more accounts next year.

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

36 inches of snow? There's no way of knowing how much snow you'll get in a season. $25 an hour is low. I understand all areas are different, but I pay my subs $65 an hour. Like Fatality said, you have to pay for the blade before you see a profit. I would also look for a good used one. There's many out there!

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

commercial auto Insurance $1300
    General Liability insurance $300
    Plow $6000
    total = $7600

304 hours @ $25 an hour before you see a profit. How many hours per year will you get 50 ? That's 6 years of work before you make a dime... Oh wait that only includes insurance for one year. 8 years before you make a dime. To some on this site, that would be amazing and they would die to work for free for 8 years !

Find a real snow removal company that actually pay's their subs a fair wage.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Outstanding Nekos!

It just can't be said any better than that!

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

This would make more sense if the OP posted up what his costs for equipment/insurance was.

Both my insurances are under $1000 per year. My plow ended up costing me $400 after I sold off the stuff I didn't need AND I restored it. Making back $1400 is very easy.

My advise to the OP- buy something used for the first year and take care of it. Be smart about your purchase and shop around for insurance if you don't already have it. Also, if you use your truck throughout the year then factoring in a yearly insurance cost into 4-5months of plowing is a mute point.

7. App SnowRemoval

App SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from Boone

To be honest i don't have to pay for my insurance either so i think i might try for 35

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

25 dallors and hour with paid fuel? i would deffinintly ask what truck i would be driving of his!

9. adan

adan Member

$25/hour just won't fly no matter what kind of equipment your using. Unless making $5-$10/hour is good in your area.. Nothing less than $55 for a plow truck around here

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Junior Member
    from 02347

Even at $45 an hour you are bleeding yourself out. It may take a few years for you to figure it out. But you are. The problem with this business and most contracting businesses is having to compete with guys that aren't smart enough to know they are losing money.

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I could see $25 an hour plowing in his truck. I don't sub myself out, but if I did, mine would sit in the drive if I was going to make less than $55 or $60 an hour. It just isn't worth the wear and tear and eventual repair costs, much less the price of fuel and insurance.

12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I have posted in a few threads about wages for subs. The simple fact it, It costs a lot of money to own, maintain, insure and put gas in a plow truck. You need to be paid for all of it. The truck, wear and tear , repairs. EVERY thing !

Companies use subs because it's cheaper for them. They pass off all of the expensive costs onto you. I can't tell any one what to work for but a few minutes with a calculator and you will quickly realize how much money it costs you just to step out the door and go out plowing snow.

( side note)
    There are guys on this site claiming $12 an hour in your own truck, because that's the (( going rate)). This particular gem I'm talking about also bills out to his customers $100 an hour minimum. Some thing to keep in mind when you are out there busting your ass for nothing.

13. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I just found a post on craigslist in my area saying "we are a professional plowing company and are in need of experienced plow drivers with own trucks, must have newer equipment to avoid break downs and an 8' plow minimum "please NO rookies" must be avaiable at all times and cannot leave the site! Paying $35 per hour cash! " what a F ing joke! I cant believe some people around here. I was getting $50/hr cash 10 years ago with a 1/2 chevy with a 7'6" plow! I wouldnt roll out of bed for that pay.... I just dont get people anymore. I mean come on last year my truck burned about $14 of gas an hour alone!

14. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I started out at $75 an hour in a F150 with a 7.6 blade. Now the going rate in my area is $65 an hour. This is probably the only industry where the operating costs keep skyrocketing while the pay keeps decreasing.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

First off, 36" of snow is a lot. My annual contracts have a 40" cap which is pretty industry standard in these parts. Second, who's your psychic? Can they tell me the next powerball numbers?

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I wouldnt plow for him anymore
    Get a V and find some accounts for yourself

17. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

You have to know your costs, that being said 60.00 per hour or go do it your self it isnt worth my time or the wear and tear on my machine for less. The thing that make this business so difficult is all the hacks that come along each year. During the last snow event i had a kid posting on facebook that he would shovel by hand 30.00 per driveway. Its okay my business is growing know your costs, provide good service they will want you back.