1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a snowplow or not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doubleedge, Oct 31, 2010.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Tomorrow, I will most likely be buying an extended cab 1995 f250 with the 460 cu in engine and E4OD trans. It has 82k miles and no rust (not even on the frame that I could see). This vehicle would be used primarily for my lawn business, but I'm also considering putting a plow on it for winter. I don't do much snow removal, and I'm currently using snowblowers and occasionally an atv. The atv (grizzly 700) hasn't been as efficient as everybody told me it would be.

The driveways are all about 2-3 cars wide and 1.5 cars long, so there isn't much room to work. We (3 person crew) also move snow from the sidewalks and walkways; the sidewalks are about 5 ft from the road, with grass on both sides. We usually come after the storm, so there is sometimes 12+ inches on the driveways plus drifts.

My main concern is being able to back drag deep snow and hardened drifts from the driveways. Is it even possible to back drag a 2 ft drift? Also, how much would my fuel costs go up using the truck instead of the snowblowers and atv? Would I see a significant reduction in the time it takes to finish each job?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

that truck and plow would be the same length as the driveways you want to plow:dizzy:

To backdrag 2 feet of snow you need to take bites out of it. it is a PITA. as far as fuel I The truck would use about the same as the snowblowers.
  3. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

So for large snowfalls, it would probably take longer than just using a snowblower?
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

no way....
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you check for rust on the oil pan. Fords are known for the cheap stamped metal they used for the oil pans rusting out. I have 2 1996 F-250's and have had to replace both oil pans. One has a 351, the other has a 460, so it's not just one type, it's all of them.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A truck with a plow is more efficient, Alot warmer and will det about 5-8MPG plowing
  7. PeterG

PeterG Member

It will definately be easier that snowblowing for the big storms. Plus you wont be out in the cold pushing a snowblower.
  8. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I'm new too (first year getting payed for snow clearing). The only thing I see is what you are describing, 3 out of 4 driveways in town are not suitable for 100% plowing.

I just bought a Toro single stage blower last week, 80lbs, to throw in the back of the truck. I'm offering seasonal and most of the jobs I see have some element to them where the plow isn't suitable. So you decide to only do drives that can be plowed. Get ready to say no to a lot of prospective clients.

I got the blower just to say to some people, here's enough to get you to your car, and plow to get the car out. Then off to the next job, return later to clean up. Some I need the blower to do a couple of walkways. I only plow or blow hard surfaces, no gravel drives unless they are out of town.

Lots of different ways to do it. Good luck, we need it :)
  9. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Use a plow blade(back blade) you can mount to your rear hitch or bumper. I had a 1993 chevy 2500 crew cab long box. Worst plow truck ever. I think a back blade would be more efficient gas and time wise.
  10. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

It would be too expensive for me to buy both a front and rear plow for only a dozen residential driveways.
  11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

What's the plow worth if you don't have a place to pile the snow you're dragging out of the driveway? Most Resi' (in town) Don't prefer work done with a plow truck because of the pile factor. If there is a large yard or specific place to push it to, the truck/jeep works fine
  12. peterng

peterng Senior Member

yup, blow or blow for 3 out of 4 I see round here