1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I get a liquid sprayer or salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scoot98758, Sep 1, 2008.

1. scoot98758

scoot98758 Junior Member

I new to plowing and don't own a salter yet. I need to purchase one this year and I have been reading a bunch of people are having a hard time finding salt. I was wondering if I built a liquid sprayer will it have the same effect or better effect on ice that salt does? I need some help comparing prices of material per sqft (salt vs liquid material), time to operate (salt vs liquid), amount spreader/sprayer costs (salt vs liquid), benefits of having either salt or liquid. I would also like to know if you have to find a place that sells the liquid or do you buy concentrated liquid and mix with water?
    PS when I said salt above I mean salt or salt type chemical equivalent.
    Thanks in advance for all the advice

2. Scoot, you would want to definitely want to have a spreader for salt. Liquid are by no means a replacement for salt. They will greatly reduce the amount of salt used. But are not a total cure all for deicing. I had a guy looking to get a trailer of liquid the other day and that was all he was going to use. I think he may get the salt spreader as well. Lets hope... It's just another tool in your tool box. Liquids work great. We love them...Saved us a lot of salt during the ice storms last year..

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Bren. Buy the salter first and then buy the liquid setup, when you can.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep or so im told

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we could go on and on about this subject but to sum it up for you......

you'll need a spreader, and next year maybe a sprayer

PJ

6. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

Does anyone consider sodium acetates as an alternative to salt or calcium?

7. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

I think I am also going all liquid this year.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

cant be done, liquids are only effective at certain times, with certain conditions, are not good for Ice , or as a post treatment