1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should i chip it?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fordplowkid, Sep 20, 2008.

1. fordplowkid

fordplowkid Member

Im thinking about chipping my 2005 6.0. I was looking in to the edge product. I am just looking for feedback on to do it or not. If so what else should i do to prevent breaking anything? thanks ussmileyflag
  2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I have a Diablo chip in my 03 7.3 F-550. I think it works great. You might have to remove it in case of a warranty issue.
  3. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

My dealder told me that if anything happens to my truck they wont say anything as long as its a banks he said there the best.... head diesel guy
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your dealer might say that they won't say anything, but Ford has been having major problems with this. If you chip a 6.0L you have about a 60% chance that you will blow out your head gaskets. It's about an $8k fix. I happen to know a guy that is pretty high up the food chain at Ford. If they get a request for a diesel engine rebuild they have been sending a tech guy out to see if it has been chipped. And yes even if you wipe the computer clean they can still tell. At this point it's your bill. He told me that they can't get them all but if they have a dealer that has multiple rebuild requests it throws up a red flag and that is where they start.
  5. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

I check in on Powerstroke.org quite a bit. SCT seems to be the preferred programmer there. I have an 04 that I am going to hook an SCT up to but I am going for economy, not tire spinning power. The stock truck configuration has enough power for me. If you go for custom tunes Innovative Diesel has a very good reputation.
  6. fordplowkid

fordplowkid Member

yeah i have had some buddies with 6.0s tell me that as long as i have a aftermarket exhaust and air box i should be fine due to more air coming in and not as much back pressure. because the chip changes the air and gas ratio
  7. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

Make sure you get a set of gauges before you get the chip so you can keep a eye on the motor
  8. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

One look at the top of your pistons will tell them if you have a chip or not. The spray pattern of your injectors are visibly changed on the top of the piston. As stock it shoots directly on the center of the injector in a cone shape. When you put a chip on it, it changes it to a flower shape on top of the piston.

The real problem here is that the outside of the piston isn't as strong as the center. I've seen a few trucks that were pulling horse trailers on the hot setting, and because of the spray on the outside of the piston, it actually cracked the piston completely in two.

I searched and searched google for a pic, but couldn't find one.

I run an Edge Juice Platinum on my 05 6.0L. It works pretty good. I bought the truck used, and the first thing I had to do with it was put headgaskets on because the people before me had a banks six gun on it and didn't know how to turn it down I suppose.
  9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

if you run it 1-200 miles stock before work it won't show anything on piston...

sct is the only way to go....see my signature for the best tuner around...there are only 4 main ones..
  10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

SCT X3 came recommended as the best for Ford. I got one for my brother from ragindiesel on dieseltowingresource.com He gave it to me for $100+ off the price as a forum member over there. I'm not sure if it was a special or what.
  11. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

No offense but you're head ford diesel guy must get sucked right into the Banks propaganda and advertising in all the diesel magazines. But if he took a closer looks at all the trucks in the mags or any reputable modded/high HP truck it wouldn't have a single banks product on it.

Banks stuff is a joke and the people who buy the stuck are the ones who don't bother to do the research before they throw thousands at a Banks kit, which can be done better with less money.

Elite Diesel and innovative diesel are two of the better custom tuners out there for the 6.0 and they will both use the SCT x3

But the 6.0 is a touchy motor to turn up the power on, head gaskets like to blow, may exaggerate the common problems with the EGR cooler system, there are a couple easy ways around this to make these issues go away but they will cost you $$$$$ in labor. The 6.0 in my opinion is one of those motors that you should mode right the first time to not have issues down the road.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  12. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Banks is a disaster waiting to happen as far as chips are concerend. Edge can be too if you dont know what you are doing. Ive had a Bullydog PMT on my truck for 60000 KM. PROBLEM FREE! Before this the pervious owner ran what I think is an edge and it blew the head gaskets and EGR cooler. At 80,000 KM these were replaced, now at 140,000 Km ive had no issues. Nada. The bullydogs nice since it has power downs, the interface is great too.
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I had a '04 6.0....had SCT tuned by Elite Diesel. That truck was trashed. I would be scared to chip a 6.0. But if you do, I have the SCT Tuner for a 6.0 for sale. I'll give ya a good deal. PM me.:waving:
  14. moose3

moose3 Junior Member
    from US

You mean between 100 and 200 miles, right? Are you sure of this?

Thank you.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  15. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Im not starting a argument over here thats just what he told me. Around here most people don't do alot to their trucks for what reason I don't know but my trucks stock an thats just what the guy told me. My 07 is stock an my 06 just has an straight piped exhaust, but I am gunna get an air cleaner eventually an possible a chip but Im on the fence.
  16. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

For powerstroke's I would give spartan diesel a call, custom tunes but if you go over extra 100hp alot you better be ready to put in some money for trans mods, gauges, head work and arp studs if you don't want to blow the motor.
  17. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If I owned a 6.0 I wouldn't do it. Like other have said turbos, Heads lifting off.. why do it? The trans can slip as well that's why guys are running Suncoat trans kit.