1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I charge if someone cleaned my driveway??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R&J Whitetails, Feb 12, 2016.

1. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I have a problem with some condos I clean 2 times this year someone has just come by with a bobcat and cleaned out the 4 driveways and the owners think or thought it was me but it wasn't. So what I did was go to these condos first and the finish my route. NOW the other day I cleaned the condos and headed to another residential house where I found the grand daughter of the lady that hired me cleaning the driveway. I asked if she wanted me to finish but she was almost done. She said she just did it because she was there. What does a guy do about this? I start plowing snow with in the hour it stops. It's not like I wait 4 hrs then start. Should I just send her the bill and explain she has a contract with me or what??
    Thanks

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

i tell my customers there is a charge if I show up and it's plowed.

3. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Is your charge the same price ask if u plowed it yourself

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yep send a bill. You are hired to provide a service, not to burn fuel and your time for nothing.

I bill contractors for plowing lots that didn't end up being contracted by them that I was told to do.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Are YOU liable for slips and falls and accidents?

6. NThill93

NThill93 Member

i send a bill no matter what i went all the way their to do the job and its their problem they didn't inform you. if they call me ill usually tell them to just pay me half if they're really upset. its weird that someone would take the time to clean the condos with a skid steer though it has to be someone real close that is driving it their. ask around.

7. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

Yea someone around there must stop by. They said over the years different ppl just stop by and do it for them. Sometimes the grandson of one of them will do it but they told him they hired me to do it. Thanks for the info

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It's North Dakota......and a driveway.

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:

10. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Send the bill and buy the granddaughter a beer for helping you out.

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

5 driveways, and who knows if he is on the hook or not? Just saying, he is losing money, and his contracts may ambiguous enough that he could be sued. Crazy stuff does happen. Willing to bet that charging for services not rendered would cure the gratuitous plowing. I'd be speaking to the persons actually taking my money away from me as well.

12. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I would talk to them but no one knows who is doing it

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Just my $0.02 worth

Some of you dont see the big picture.

you want to charge for service NOT performed!

If you have to " burn fuel and your time for nothing" If you are wasting time and fuel you need to take a look at your plow rout your customer should be across the street or around the corner else your wasting time driving around.

you have to look ahead is the customer you charge for performing no service going to be happy with you? Is he going to refer you to others? next year or this year?

Once my ceptic system over flowed, I called my normal guy to pump it out. He was going to take 2 days to get there. My wife found a guy to come out the same day. he pumped I forgot to call my guy. He showed up 2 days later... and charged me full price. He would not budge on price. He could have charged me gas and time for the driver and I would have been OK with that, but no he wanted full price. OK he got it. I have never used him since nor will I recommend him. You decide do you want to be the plower the customer calls an SOB for charging for services not rendered.

what about next year? they going to be quick to sign up with you? Refer you as being an honest guy?

Its your business do as you please, I dont see charging for services not rendered as being good relations with my customers.

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You couldn't be more wrong IMO. I told all my customers up front that if you do your own or someone else does your snow removal, you will still be charged. I had a set amount I expected to make each snowfall, and I'm not having customers decide to "do their own" when it's light or when they wanted to get outside for a few minutes of exercise. I had a pretty tight route but that doesn't matter to me, I'm still out that money. As far as your septic issue, you are at fault on that, you forgot to call, and used someone else. I'm sure he doesn't care you haven't called him since, I would have dropped you anyway. You're the type of customer I would never put up with, I've had a few over the years and I just moved on from them quickly.

15. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I agree with you. I have lost 9 driveways now because of this non since. That's almost my whole route minus one driveway

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Do you plow the whole condo complex?
    If not could the guy in the skid have plowed the wrong places?
    Why do you wait till the end of the storm to plow?

17. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

I plow the whole complex. I wait till the end because that's what old ppl want. They don't want to be double charged and most of my routes are 30 mins (35 miles) from my home base
    So it would not pay to drive 70 mile round trip 2 times

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Is your contract with a HOA or individual residents.
    If it's with the HOA bill it, if individuals don't but ask if they called someone else in.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

20. R&J Whitetails

R&J Whitetails Member
    from ND

These condos have no association they are all just individual residence