1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I change the bed ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blk90s13, Aug 9, 2011.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a 2000 f250 powerstroke with a real shot bed ( rusted bad ) and having a dump insert is not helping getting worst by the day

I can get a 2011 bed installed and wired for $1850 from a local truck equipment place ( they get lots of them through township jobs )

or should I just ditch the truck and find another one ? the front rail of the bed is splitting off the bottom already

It was a salter truck for years that's why I guess
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My question would be, how well does the truck run and how is the cab? If those are both in good shape then I would go ahead and fix the bed. Having a bed insert, you dont want to put it on a flatbed. There's a guy around here who has his dump bed on top of a flat bed and it sits up wayyyyyy too high. Look for a used southern bed they're super easy to install and remove. Ive seen beds for as low as 500 bucks and in rust free condition. Add in another 100 bucks for new hardware and your in business. The way this economy is heading I'm sick about having truck payments, thankfully one will be paid off in 2 more payments and another one in 6. BUT.....if its nickel and dimming you then you might want to consider buying a new or newer vehicle.
  3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

if it was a salt truck all its life then you dont how well the frame on the truck is gonna hold up unless its good and other stuff might be rotted once you start driving regulary then you will see stuff starting to break or rust off .
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We just recently cleaned up frames on 3 superduties and replaced beds on all three of them. One of them got a new takeoff from a 2011, the others were southern boxes. The short box was the hardest to find and the most expensive.

Mechanically the trucks were mint and they all had 7.3's in them. Two of them had salters on them in the winter, but wont any longer. The one without the salter definitely had the cleanest frame.

The price you were quoted was good imo. I paid $2000 for a new 2011 take off box...no tailgate or bumper..just tailights and liner.
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The main reason why these beds rot is Ford’s better idea. They put foam in-between the pinch welds on the rear wheel wells. Well I guess they could not figure foam holds water and road salt like a sponge. Mine is rotting so bad I am tossing the bed and never going back. I am in the process of building a flat bed dump for my 02 F250 superduty.
  6. blk90s13

The truck runs and drives very well the 7.3l got 150k on it, I will keep looking for a southern bed and try to install it my self

I plan on blasting the frame and spraying with under liner stuff
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Beds are around. We have a place in Warren OH that has many. Might be worth you while to come west and look.
  8. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

How much are those beds I would love 2 or 3
  9. blk90s13

contact ? info ?
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The next time I transport a patient out that way I will get the info. The last time I went by they had a bunch of beds sitting upright on edge. There is so many little burgs out that way I could not tell you what village etc is was in. I spent an hour searching on the net and could not find the place! It's on RT 5E, 422E or 76E. Right on the north side of the highway.I can see it in my minds eye as I pass it.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011