1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should I change my trans. fluid?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 1982_F350, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

So last year I bought a 1982 Ford F350 with the 6.6L gas engine in it. I have replaced a few parts, and finally got around to adding a plow to it. My question is should I change the transmission fluid since I don't know if it has ever had it done and the plow adds alot of stress to the transmission, or do I leave it because it works fine. Let me know what you think. Thanks

2. Deere444H

Deere444H Junior Member

Id go by color and smell........ If its not burnt and dark, then id prob. leave it alone, The other thing you run the risk with an older tranny is if you remove the dirty fluid, some time the suspended particulate matter in the fluid may be whats making the transmission work. I have seen a few newer 4R100 transmissions that were fine, but had dark nasty fluid, have a flush/exchange done, and then shortly there after have transmission failures.... if its not broke, why fix it?

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would definitely change it,just not a flush though so as not to dislodge any gunk from kicking up.

4. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

thats what I heard from my mechanic and by doing that you only replace like 4 quarts

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wrong info.

On my 95 F250 I think it was 15-17 quarts of oil.

You pull oil pan off and replace filter then drain torque converter that where it hold tons of dirty fluid there. You be surprise how nasty it look.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I change the fluid in all of my trucks every year. Note that changeing the fluid means pulling the pan, and changing the filter at the same time. Every tranny that I have ever seen that gets flushed, through one of the local oil change shops ends up going out. Flushing only changes part of the fluid, and it loosenes up all the clutch dust and sends it floating around inside the tranny again, which in turn usually plugs up something which burns up your tranny. So for the past 5 years now, I have changed the tranny fluid in all trucks that get used for plowing, or towing, and I call it good. Just figure out the costs involved in doing it, and add them into your cost of doing business, and you never even miss the money.

7. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions. My next thing is should I do just the transmission (5.9 quarts) or should i drain the torque converter also (11.8 quarts total). when i talked to local auto parts store they said most people don't drain the whole thing. Also what kind of fluid should I use? I am kind of on a tight budget right now. Thanks

Last thing is has anyone every used a Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit, So that I would actually have a filter outside of the transmission to change without dropping the pan.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. SD Cookman

SD Cookman Junior Member

If your budget is too tight to correctly change the fluid (bring it to a shop and have a power flush, this will remove the fluid in the torque converter)

How can you be thinking of a remote filter kit.....better money spent on a fluid change and bigger cooler...IMHO

9. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

I actually didn't even know anything about remote filter kits. i was just pricing out changing my filter and how much fluid will cost and i seen one and wanted opinions on them because i didn't know anything about them.... So was that thinking that I should do the torque converter also?

10. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

15-17 quarts is a full flush.
    Not recommended for older trucks, because sometimes the gunk that is in there might be keeping it from slipping too much and with a full flush it will remove the gunk causing the trans to slip.Im not a mechanic thats just what i heard.

Im taking mine in today to the transmission place down the street today

11. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

So do people think I should drain the torque converter or is it not worth it? Thanks

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what transmission do you have? i'm guessing the C6 auto? i would remove the pan, replace the filter and gasket, and drain the torque convertor.

13. 1982_F350

1982_F350 Member

I have the 6.6L gas engine and the C6 3 speed auto for the transmission

14. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

Those external trans filter kits are addedf protection... you would still need the factory filter in there too. just my .02

15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

most people dont change it cause its extra work...i say drain pan and converter. and get into the habbit of it every other year..

16. bill7101

bill7101 Member

drain pan, change filter, disconnect trans cooler line and run a hose to a drain pan, fill trans, run engine filling trans while dirty fluid is drained out till fluid comes out clean, may take 2 people, and you have to fill it fast, but the cheapest way to change fluid by urself and does a good job, thats the way we were taught to do it back in school for auto tech, but at our shop its all done with a trans flush machine, dont let them guys tell u not to disurb stuff, if u do it now or later if there is an issue that will happen because some gunk is sealing the trans its only a matter of time it will go out, it means somethings wrong, not that there is something wrong with that trans in your truck.

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Wth? Time for a new mechanic. Some guys are still living in the stone age, how some mechanics that think this, and are still in buiness amazes me.:laughing: Is the guy a bicycle mechanic or something?

18. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I understand the tranny flush ect....but are you referring about taking off the oil pan in your quote? Is there a special filter hidden inside the pan, or are u talking about the Fram oil filters that get changed every 5000km's ?

If thats the case then, I'd have to unbolt & lift the entire back end of the 7.3Litre diesel engine of my truck just to take the oil pan off for this special filter??? Am I missing something here?????? lol:confused:

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes there is a filter/ screen inside the trans pan that should be changed at propper intervals .Not the engine oil pan, the trans oil pan.

20. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Ahh, okay then! I'll put that on my to-do list next week for all my trucks.