1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I change from Meyer Plow to a Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TomsSnowPlowING, Sep 3, 2012.

1. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

Hello Western Plow owners.
    My old Meyer Dealer is now a Western Dealer.
    I have a Meyer E-60 with 7.5 steel plow that will not stay up.
    New Western dealer will knock off $1,000.00 for my old Meyer.
    Without trade-in wants $5,500.00 + $330.00 = $5,830.00 for a Western 7.5 Poly Plow.

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Fix the pump.

3. TomsSnowPlowING

The OLD Meyer dealer now under a Western Dealer tried to fix it when was on 1991 Chevy..
    Also to put the Meyer on the 2004 from 1991 Wants $2,500.00 in parts to mount it + Labor.
    Also be AS IS warranty.

4. TomsSnowPlowING

Parts are:
    EZ Mount Classic Mounting Carton for 2004 Chevy Silverado. Was told my old will not work.
    Nite-Saber II DRL Compatible Halogen Lamp Kit for 2004 Chevy Silverado. Was told my old will not work.
    All power cables Was told my old will not work. Being too old.
    Wiring Was told my old will not work. Being too old.
    Control Was told my old will not work. Being too old.
    Plus Labor

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Wow he wants alot for a 7.5! Shop around a bit!

I had a 98 1500 chevy with a 7.5 meyers e47. Bought my duramax and found a used 8 1/2 western for it. NO REGRETS! There really is no comparing to two plows..

6. TomsSnowPlowING

Next closest Meyer or Western dealer is 3 to 4 hours away.
    When this Meyer was on the 1991.
    Have in the E-60 with Labor:
    All new Valves = $600.00 problem was not fixed +
    New ram & seals & cups = $1,400.00 = $2,000.00 problem still not fixed + an other
    And for an other $1,600.00 + seals + Labor for a new Sump Base.
    Had to junk the 1991 due to rust holes in floor for State Inspection before I had a chance to do seals + Labor for a new Sump Base.
    The plow is know sitting in my mom's garage out of the weather.

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Now that you've gotten more specific, updating the plow at the same time as you are updating your truck makes a bit more sense. Agree with Holland, look around a bit before plunging remembering that Western and Meyers are not the only options.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say go with a Western,,,if your old dealer is now Western,,,its a no brainer. But look around. Cheaper prices around and imo westerns are easier and parts are cheaper

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Anything is better than putting money into something that is out of date and not worth much to begin with. Time to upgrade.

10. TomsSnowPlowING

Thank You

Refurbished Meyer E68 Snow Plow Pump goes for $1,700.00 + shipping without cylinders & without wiring / cables.

Until I can get a new plow.
    I be snow shoveling and snow blowing.

11. Holland

Holland Senior Member

You dont have to drive around to get a price. Make some calls and maybe see what other dealers have for used plows as well. If its a good deal it would be worth the drive. I picked up my used ultramount with mounts, new wiring, and a brand new cutting edge. Works great, working on painting it up now. By the time i sold my already fixed up meyers, i'm actually money AHEAD! Even with the supplies i'll need to paint it, i might be in it a 100 bucks and i'll have twice the plow. Deals are out there man! Nows the time to shop around. Here in another month people will start thinking about the winter and it will be a good time to sell your meyers.

12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I cant give you a specific price here, but I can tell you he is VERY high on that western plow

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

pretty much all the prices you have mentioned sound high to me.

14. TomsSnowPlowING

Been calling around for lower prices.

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

There's a few on this site for sale. The prices seem reasonable but in 4-6 weeks they'll be going up.

16. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Try ebay and CL. I saw a 9' ultra mount on ebay a few days ago with a starting bid of 1K and no one had bid on it. Had a buy it now of 1,200.
    There are some deals out there. In that case, you probably could have a good working plow for 2K.

17. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

There all over Cl for cheap people want to get them out of there yards
    But I would go with western.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. TomsSnowPlowING

Whats CL?

I heard of ebay.
    Whats CL?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  20. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

CL = craigslist.com
    it's a free site to buy sell or trade anything.