1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by dieseld, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

A friend has a 2005 Artctic Cat 500 4x4 for sale for 4000.00. Any opinions on purchasing this for summer fun here and there and for my sidewalk crew tio use on a heavy snowfall? Pros and Cons versus other machines. I would use fairly seldom in summer but would put a plow on it for winter.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That is the same thing as mine, the only diference is you have the new style and a diferential lock. I love my Arctic Cat it runs great and it has all the power I would ever need in an ATV. It works great for plowing and it rides exelent, so it's an all round great ATV. I would never buy any other brand.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I agree with him. but my arctic cat is a 2000 500cc. I love it. how many miles on it? does it come with a plow?

4. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

No plow. It has 350 miles on it. It does have diff lock. No EFI, is the carb ok in the winter? Is this a decent price?

5. my carb'ed cat is ok in the winter, needs lots of warm up time though. With 350 miles, that's almost new so i guess that kinda explains the 4k price tag. Plowing with these things is awesome!

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya thats a good price. my quad is carb'd and it starts right up in the cold sometimes with no choke on. I have never had a problem with mine in the cold.

7. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Thanks a lot. What size plow? 48"? 60" might be too big for some older sidewalks?

8. wow, mine would never start in the cold with no choke!!

I don't know how wide a path a 60'' blade would clear at an angle, but my 50'' doesn't clear wider than the atv when at full angle.

9. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

another idea would be look at the new non-current models they may have some good deals on them if there a couple years old and still new. imo

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I do a 54" and it fits on sidealks straight blade. angle the plow and you have to do 2 swipes.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Cat is carbereated and it starts rite up and runs great in the winter. A 54'' or 60'' plow would work good.

12. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I seems like a great Machine and Deal to me, I'm a Honda guy but if the cat guy's say it's good I'll go with them if your just gonna be doing sidewalks with it you may want to Think about a V Plow for it. that way your just pushing the V through and not getting the Plow Steer veering the ATV off the sidewalk and into the snow bank.

Just a thought for you.
    or also maybe a 50" state Plow has the higher wing for the snow to roll off the blade farther.

sublime out.

13. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Wont a V plow push snow back towards the doors? Or does the V plow actually function?

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

the v plwo for a atv is the same as a truck v plow. it scoops, v's, and side to side, and straight blade. I would get one but for what I do with it, it isnt worth spending the money. do you have any pics of the cat?

15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Sorry, no pictures