1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NankoGroup, Aug 25, 2005.

1. NankoGroup

NankoGroup Junior Member

I am new to the plowing industry, I am also going into lawn care next spring. I found a good deal on a truck and need your advice on wether or not to buy it.

It is a 1986 Ford F350 Dually Stakebed with a 351 Windsor and a C6 Auto Trans, it also has an older Western Snow plow with joystick control, completely intact but due for some maintainence and adjustment. The truck needs a starter and will need tires soon. It has 3 belly boxes and overall it is in real good shape.

The only real downfall is that it is 2 wheel drive, I have already read the posts and understand the issues that this can cause.

I can pick it up for about $750, should I jump on it?

2. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Hmmm, $750 for a F350 Dually - and everything works. I wouldn't have wasted the time to post on this site if I were you. I'd be loading it up on the hauler...

Put a big v-box on it and use it for a salt rig/backup-cleanup plow truck.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Stop playing on plowsite :p and go buy that truck :D

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you can wrench that's a great price. The c-6 is cheap to have rebuilt,351's are everywhere. The starters 3 bolts, $60 for a rebuilt,mentally note how the wire bolts on, if you don't you will see why I said it.

5. NankoGroup

NankoGroup Junior Member

hey guys, thanks for the input, it looks like Im buying this truck!

6. NankoGroup

NankoGroup Junior Member

Picked up the truck today, he threw in some new tires an extra steering box and an extra set of F350 rear springs. The truck needs some TLC but will be good to go by the first snowfall!

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Nice, good for you buddy :drinkup: Post up some pictures :D

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you have any problems with it feel free to PM me.
    I know a lot about Fords and Plow truck induced problems.
    My Dad and I have owned Fords since 1966 so we have seen a bit of problems.

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

when i first started plowing 3 years ago i drove an 86 f350 w/ plow and v box 2wd and with a ton of salt in it it pushes snow like theres no tomorrow however my only downfall is that ours didnt have overdrive and it overheated in transport often but theyre good trucks

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Nanko, Post a picture of that beauty, I love all Ford vehicles, especially trucks :p