1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this truck and which plow combo?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Jan 15, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I am in the market for a dump body truck and came across this today. 1999 F350 Dump, 7.3 PSD, 44500 miles, automatic in excellent shape. The dealer is asking $22200 but I got him down to $21000 today (Ithink he still has room to play). He will put a Fisher 8 1/2 straight blade for $3450 or an 8 1/2 V blade for $3950 (installed). Seems like a pretty decent price for the truck, I am leaning towrds the V plow. Anyone running this set up???

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That's not a bad price, but make sure that transmission is in good shape. If the previous owner did much heavy hauling with it, it may have overheated at some point. Maybe you can get the dealer to negotiate a warranty of some sort, the manufacturers warranty was up at 36,000 miles.

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I checked on an extended warranty. I can get one for 3years 36k miles for $1895 or a 2 year for $1495. I saw the service records since the previous owner had bought and had it serviced at the dealer. No previous issues and oil changed between every 3 & 5k miles. Front ball joints were replaced about 4 months ago.

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats a good price.i paid 31,000 for my f350 dump with 33,000 miles on it.i would go with a western 9.6 mvp.you need at least a 9 foot blade so when you turn the rear tires won't go throught the snow so much.they still will go in the snow u just pushed but when you push straight u have about 6 1/2 on each side past the wheels cleared

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

don't get the extended warranty it doesn't cover anything trust me did that on two trucks and i paid for everything that broke

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks Mike, I was curious about the warranty. The dealer offers a 3 month 3k mile warranty 100% of everything with the truck. That will get me through the winter anyway!!! Guess I'll be on my own after that.:D

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i use to work for FORD so i know how they run there dealerships.plus i had a cracked fuel tank on my f250 ld and i paid 670 to have it replaced.my f350 had a bad wipper switch and that was 300.my f350 has 73,000 on it now and i haven't even put brakes on it yet.just a muffler cause the stock one wasn't loud enough for my taste lol.but fisher v or western 7.6 v is nice.a blizzard would be an awsome setup for that truck i plan on getting one for next winter on a newer f350.

8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

If you get the extended warranty, you better get it serviced at the dealership. You need to have a record of service or they will give you the runaround. Especially if you are plowing with it.;)

9. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Like Mike said, I wouldnt go with the smaller plow, go for the 9.5' Vplow or a 9' straight plow, a dually is a lot better with a larger plow and the truck will have no problem handeling it, unless you do a lot of driveways then I guess the 8.5' straight plow would be ok. Just My two cents

10. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

Sounds like a good price to me. I would go with the bigger plow also (9'). The warranty can be a good thing, you need to really check it out though. I don't know if anyone is familiar, but i have a warrantech warranty on my truck that seems to be pretty good. It is a commercial use warranty that also includes any commercial use accessories that are professionally installed (this includes my plow). My truck is an 03 chevy with 3 year 36,000 factory and the extended takes me to 6 year 72,000, including roadside assistance. Also with this warranty i can get it serviced almost anywhere and they bill warrantech, which is good when breaking down on weekends. I hope this can help someone, for those interested check the link. http://www.warrantech.com/

11. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Like the others said, go with the bigger plow. You won't regret it.

12. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

LB,

First things first, when it comes to a diesel engine, check the GFAW to see if you can put this thing on there. The one time I looked into mounting a plow on a diesel I didnt buy, the axle rating wouldnt carry it. Just because they can bolt one on doesnt mean the truck can carry it properly.

I know I'll get hammered by 15 guys who say they have diesels with 18 foot plows and never greased the tie rods or ball joints ever and its been fine since 1969, but just go ahead and check with not only the dealer but with your local plow rep to find out if the axle can carry it. If it can, great go with the V plow, I would.

Best of luck

CMerrick

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

Cmerland

thats a very good point.i would check in the door jam for the front end rating,but i feel if that truck has a 1200 lbs dump body on the back i think he should be okay.but im not going to knock you on that many people never even think about that.they just think bigger is better but i did hang plows on f150 7.5 fishers and some 8.0 fishers and they held up but still people thought as long as its a pickup you can slap a plow on without any problems

14. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Mike,

Thanks for agreeing with me. To take the point further it doesnt matter whats on the back of it, what matters is the 3000 lb engine sitting up front over top of the axle. Ford is notorious for putting light duty axles on their trucks particularly 250's (I know his is a 350) and the weight of the diesal doesnt leave much room for anything, let alone the weight of a heavy duty plow.

I have an 88 F-250 small block gasser that needed additional leaf spring up front plus timbrens to carry just an 8 foot fisher straight blade. And it carrys it well because of this extra work so Im not out there buying new tires every two years, and replacing front end parts annually.

There are other threads along these lines of diesels and plows if you want to search them out, many by people way more knowledgable about what axle can carry what plow etc. Just thought Id throw my point out there, before it got buried under a SUPER MINI MUNI 14 foot extended wing plow blade suggestion.

Good luck and Think Snow!!!!

CMerrick

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

That truck should have a 5200 lb front axle,so a 9 ft,or 8.5 ft V-blade will be OK.I don't think they recommend a 9.5 V,but it will handle it just fine.

16. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

my dump is the same as his but i have a tenco dump bed /sand spreader which is about 2750 lbs empty.i thought about putting a blizzard 8611,but because i see they haven't figured out all the bugs i went with the western mvp 9.6.it carries well.when the plow is off and the bed has 4 yards of sand salt the front end is up about 6,7 inches from stock height.so i think he should be okay

17. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have a 01 F350 pu with the 8'6 Fisher V Plow. It's the best thing I have bought yet. Well worth the extra couple of bucks

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

LB, I didn't mean to scare you about the tranny, but it's the weakest link on that truck. I had one take a turd three days over warranty and it cost me $2200 plus 2 weeks down time. I you're getting the quickie warranty, just make sure you work the truck a bit so if the tranny's going south, you'll know in time.

The engine has a 5 year/100,000 mile transferrable warranty. The rest of the truck shouldn't give you trouble if properly maintained.

I had a '97 P/S F-350 I ran a 9' Diamond on with no troubles, but had to replace ball joints at 65,000. The factory units aren't greasable, so it was only a matter of time anyway.

19. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks everyone. Pelican you didn't scare me, I had heard things about the trannys you confirmed them for me. If I do get it I am going with the 8 1/2 V. I have a few smaller accounts and I think a 9 ft would be big. I would love to get a Blizzard but we don't have a local dealer so if it crapped out on me I would have to travel to get it fixed. Both Fisher and Boss dealers are about 5 mins from my house and both have good reputations.

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

yup i forgot about the trans deal.replaced 2 so far.one blew apart and the other wouldn't even move the truck 2 feet.sorry about that.its still an awsome rig i wouldn't trade it infor the world.well maybe when it gets 130,000 on it lol lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003