1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy this chevy truck ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone,
    Im looking to buy a newer truck for the use of snow plowing aswell as my summer work as my contracts have gotten somewhat better.( nothing to write home about)

I currently have a 96 chevy 2500 4x4, 6.5 turbo.
    I just did alot of work to it, including the injection pump, harmonic balancer, glow plugs,
    front brakes, coolant lines, batteries, alternator, starter, major front end work. & thats pretty much it.
    The truck has 315,000 kms. Right now it looks & runs very nice.

Theres a guy not too far from me who's selling the following truck,

2003 Chevy diesel, dually, 4 door, loaded (no leather), 4x4. I dont think its ever been plowed with. The kilometers are: 115,000 kms. Automatic. Long Box.

In canadian currency, he's asking for $22,000.00 & I dont think he's negotiable.

Are there any known problems with this truck that anyone knows about that I may run into with it ??

Is the truck worth the money ?

I dont really want to buy something with known problems & spend even more money on repairs like I did above.

A friend of mine just bought a 2004 Ford 350 dually with a 6 litre,,, he wishes he never did as its costing him alot of money in repairs already not to mention the down time.

Any advice, opinions etc. would be great

2. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Not sure what those trucks are going for down there,but up here and in Manitoba
    that sounds about right for the KM's on it.

03 should still have the LB7 engine in it which had alot of injector problems.
    Injectors are $$ for these motors.
    They also had some head gasket issues.
    Other then the injectors just the normal GM front end parts that always need replacing.
    Some guys having problems with the transfer case pump rub.

I have an 05 crew cab short with the LLY diesel,and i love the truck.Just rolled over 200K
    Just normal maint. and repairs.

Stop by diesel place or duramaxforum for some good info on these trucks.

3. Sealer People

I'm thinking that maybe I should probably look at a newer model,

Last thing I need is to have more injector problems, & I just replaced a front end on my current chevy aswell as the injection pump & module,, together it was about $4600.00.

I think Im done with buying other peoples problems.

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

2003-2004 ford 6.0's were a nightmare from what I know. Never had one, and never will from what I read. Is it the exact truck you want-with dually and all? With a plow dually's can be a pain because you will always be running over your windrows. If you like the truck, you could try to talk him down. If he won't budge then you won't be too upset to walk away......

5. Sealer People

Thanks very much for the insight.
    I didnt consider the windrows thing.

This truck however isn't a ford it's a gmc 3500 dually witha 6.0 ltr diesel.

But I think your right, with the injection problems, chevy's reknown front ends & the actual price being about $2000 above value, I probably wont buy it.

At the end of the day I'd love either a 08 - 09 gmc or ford, 3500, single axle, diesel, extended cab, long box, loaded in bright red color with an 8 or nine pusher.
    RRRRRRRRRR lol.

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just keep what you have? It looks like you put in a lot of work and time into it and those 6.5s althought they have some problems they will go for a long time. I converted the kms to miles and you have195k and change on it. I would keep it if it runs,drives, and plows well.

7. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

If the truck you are looking at is a diesel then it is a 6.6L
    If it a gas job it will be a 6.0L