1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy one of this loader??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cutshortlandscaping, Sep 15, 2016.

1. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

Hey all I have been looking for a wheel Loader for Snow and loading trucks around the yard also every so often a landscape job. I am trying not to spend more than 30k I will be financing the majority of the loader. my local cat dealer who I enjoy working with has this one instock it is a cat 936E from 1988 has estimated 20,000 hours the hour meter is broken. the side dump bucket will be replaced with a gp bucket and I'm going to get a pusher for it. the loader cost 28k. I'm also going to post more loaders here as the thread goes on ive never owned any loaders just rented. the only exeption to the 30k is a used 908 for my cat dealers rental fleet which would cost around 60k. if you guys know of any good loaders out there preferably cat that are in this price range and can be financed feel free to share.

cat 936.png

cat 936 2.png

cat 936 3.png

cat 936 4.png

cat 936 5.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

For $30k tell him to atleast throw in a new seat...Any maintenance records...Engine been overhauled??...From the pictures..The tires look somewhat ok...Are the pins tight??....Call me cheap...But $30k seems a bit high for a 28 year old loader with unknown engine hours

FredG likes this.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

20,000 hours......I'd look around more

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

20,000 is when the meter quit working...could have 30,000....

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

At 20,000 hours that means its been a good one.

FredG likes this.
  6. cutshortlandscaping

no the meter quit earlier than 20,000 they are estimating it has around 20,000

7. cutshortlandscaping

the question is will it keep being a good one for at least a few seasons

8. cutshortlandscaping

still am looking Milton cat had a 938 that was beautiful I have to check with them if they still have it

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The center pin and blow by would be my biggest concern. Its appearance looks good. If everything is okay I would want to pay $18K to $22k tops. I would also want that side dump bucket. Not to keep on it but it's worth some good money to a pipe laying operation. You can swap that side dump for a GP and some cash.

Your on the right idea with the Cat tho. You won't have such a nightmare getting parts. Work that dealer about unknown hrs beat him up a little you never know. He just might sell it. Good Luck.

10. cutshortlandscaping

ya seems to be the game plan with the hours the side dump I was thinking of asking the dealer to switch the bucket throw in a pusher and maybe alittle more but we will see. I'm going with cat because the service is unremarkable and they stock a lot of parts and what they don't have they get with in 24 hours and I love that

ClawM likes this.
  11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

There you go.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Who traded the loader, Private contractor, Municipality? I find it odd the meter was not changed. I know there just pics but it looks like someone loved it a little for the age. Is the engine compartment dry. Is the original paint there?

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

What size machine can u haul around do I need a loader that big
    Can u get away with a smaller one
    I'm sorry 20,000 it's time for engine to be freshened up and pins
    Will dealer give u a warranty?
    Also who is going to finance a machine that old?
    I'd keep looking unless the machine was already freshened up engine and pin wise

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Theirs plenty of guys that will mobilize the loader if he can;t haul himself. The bigger loaders we can't haul we drive to site to be cleared. I don't think any dealer is going to have anything to do with giving a loader of that age any warranty. How is that a big loader? it's no compact but not a huge loader. I think a 16ft pusher would be all it could handle if that.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I don't think the price is out of line, even with the hours. The 936 is a good machine. Just know, the engine could last you 10 seasons or go this season.

16. cutshortlandscaping

we can easily hire a low boy to haul it for $50 a mile. Cats finance division will finance it

17. cutshortlandscaping

well the plan is a 14 foot pusher so that 16 works

18. cutshortlandscaping

from looking around you seem to be right with both of those first comments I'm going to have some guys go over the engine i just need it to run for like 3 years or so than the plan will be to sell and buy something newer

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Why you got to have something newer in 3YRS, If you purchase one and it's been good to you keep it. You can jump out of the frying pan into the fire with a newer used one.

20. cutshortlandscaping

Who knows may just keep it for a while I just don't want to have a major breakdown that will cause massive value loss.