1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should i buy it

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by andyman0291, Oct 20, 2008.

1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

i have the chance to purchase a 2001 f250 super crew 4x4 with a v10, for around 10 grand. my mechanic took a look at it and said it needed about 2500 dollars worth of work. should i get it and repair it, or keep looking for another plow truck?

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'd keep looking. You didn't say how many miles or anything, but you said enough: that V10 is going to be thirsty and that truck is loooong. The price doesn't sound like anything special either. Just my thoughts.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How many miles? If 100k+ I would say offer $6500 and pay no more than $7500. Try to get them to do some of the work!
  4. ch973934

ch973934 Senior Member

Agreed, you can get something that doesn't need that much work for that amount or even something cheaper without that much work. Just a matter of where you look...All-in-all it is your decision though. Good luck!

5. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

its got 76000 miles, and the interior is prisitne, as well as the exterior. it mainly needs brakes, including e brake cable, and ball joints. other than that its pretty solid. just trying to get some of your opinions. thanks.
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

look it up on kbb.com. the price sounds a bit high to me, especially when inflated by 2500 for repairs.
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Have them fix all the stuff that needs repair and give them $9K
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's probably worth about $7-8k. Tell them you'll pay them $10K if they fix everything. I got my F-350 for $9,800, and it needed around $2k worth of repairs. Mine also had 118,xxx miles on it, but they were easy highway miles. So make sure you check the blue book value, and check ebay and craigslist to see what other similar trucks are going for. :)
  9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If I can get all of the work done that you just stated, buy a Ford Dealer using FORD PARTS, (no backyard mechanics, no aftermarket parts) for under $1000, will you give me the other $1500 that you were prepared to spend???
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Thats a $6500 truck if it doesnt need more than $500 worth of work around here, WHOLESALE, not retail.
  11. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I just bought a 2000 F-250 Superduty, Crew Cab, Long Bed with 120,000 miles, snow way snow plow, only plowed a few driveways last winter, owned by a mechanic, all new brake pads and rotors, brand new tires, bed liner, hard bed cover, strobe lights, almost no rust at all, and other stuff.

I paid $6800 for it. I thought it was a sweet deal and the only work I might do to it before this winter is front shocks.