1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a Toyota Tundra or a Chevy Silverado 1500?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Sep 13, 2008.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking at new trucks and I think I'm going to get a Toyota Tundra but I don't know how well the will handle an 8' Fisher. If any one has any sugjestions about wether I should get a Toyota Tunda or a Chevy 1500 let me know. I will not by a Ford or a Dodge I have had bad experiences with both.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a true 3/4 ton or larger if you plan on plowing commercially..
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What snow farmer said, 1/2 tons generally only get 7 1/2 ft light duty blades. Go with a 2500 HD or 3500. Truck will work out better for you.
  4. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

tundra has been out for a few years now, and yet when it snows i still see a ton of new chevys and so on not tundra. get the chevy and be glad you didwesport
  5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Tundras are designed for the suburbanite trucker. Sure they may be reliable and good quality as a daily driver to work, but he Japanese design everything to the minimum. Smaller rear diff, smaller frame, etc. Strap a plow on one of those and it's likely to fall apart. Even though I'm a Ford man, I would much rather see you get the Chevy. I plow with a 1/2 and it can handle plowing all day long.
  6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

truer words were never spoken i have to agree. id rather see you get a ford than a tundra and im a chevy guy
  7. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Real Plowing...

Frankly if you plan on doing any real plowing buy a Ford F-250 as a minimum. :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

plz no tundra
  9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You should buy whatever truck you like best and will suit your needs.

If you do go with the Toyota don't kid yourself that an 8' Fisher will go on there with no issues.

Most manufacturers have plow selection lists on their websites based on your vehicle information. IMO the best plow you will find for the Tundra is right here.

10. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

The gm is way more truck, no doubt about it.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are doing your own drive or a very small area either one will work. But if the application is commercial consider stepping up to a 3/4. You can buy them almost as cheap or cheaper. The 3/4 ton truck would handle that 8' blade you wanted
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

GM no doubt at all.
  13. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Actually you are wrong! The new (07+) Tundra is a beefier truck than any of the domestic 1/2 tons. 10.5" ring gear out back (with the 5.7), more hp AND torque than any of the domestics and a very nice 6 speed auto. The frames are fully boxed up front and are very strong. Can't say if they will handle a plow though.

I would not buy one...I like a 3/4 ton truck not a cowboy Cadillac! I do have a buddy who owns an 07 Tundra and the truck runs perfect, pulls great (lighter loads) and the dealer takes great care of him when he goes in for routine maintenance. I can't say that about any of the domestic dealers around here! :mad:
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Local Toyo dealer has plowed with a Toyo pickup for years. I just noticed they have a new Tundra in there now with a Boss 7'6 V. I'm a GM guy but I don't really have anything bad to say about Toyota, as long as we're comparing half tons.
  15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Buy the Chevy.......forget about the Toyota for many reasons. ussmileyflag
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

If your buying a new 'yota, will the dealership honor the warranty/ I asked a couple of years ago when they 1st came out and the dealership I spoke to gave me a flat out "NO".
    If your plowing w/ a 1/2 will the 'yota have a tranny cooler or anything else that goes into a plow pkg.?
  17. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Does Toyota offer a "Snow Plow Prep Package"? I am trolling Toyota's website and don't see anything on there.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

agreed, my 06 f350 is 3x the size of the truck as my 03 f150 is, I could bolt on a monster plow vs the f150 im sure a 7 and a hafl or 8 footer will max that sucker out.

Lotta guys have had issues plowing with the tundras, even the newest ones. Id get a 1500hd or 2500 chevy/gmc anyday or an F250.
  19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

toyota may outspec the domestic brands in a lot of categories, search online for the f150 frame test vs the tundra frame test, they did it with the nissan titan too, its rediculous how much smaller so many of the parts are like the frame flex, bolts, nuts, suspension components are. I like ford trucks more than the others but gm is a close 2nd. I wouldnt consider plowing with anything but a gm or ford or larger brands.

especially if you have the option of buying a new one and are GOING to plow with it, just start out in the right direction from the get go.
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Toyota is building huge plant here, starting with 1200 jobs with another 1200 coming in the next few years, so tymusic. That would be the only reason I would buy a Toyo but it would be for personal use.