1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should i buy a 95 F250 PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nateman, Nov 4, 2006.

1. nateman

nateman Junior Member

I was looking to buy a 95 F250 PSD (good deal);) and i was looking in to making is a plow truck and i was just wondering if anyone has used one for plowing and if so how was it. Thanks

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

NO!!!!!! Its got a heavy 7.3 diesel and you need a 8' plow on it. Thats a lot of weight with an independent front supension. I have one sub with the same set up and has to rebuild the front end every season. Hopefully this year will be his last year with that truck.

3. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

plow

I just bought a 1999 F350 7.3 diesel and just put a Western MVP 9'6" with wings on it and did nothing to the front end
    frank

4. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

That F350's back then had a solid axle, but the F250, used a heavier version of the TTB. While it used leaf springs, it was a version of the TTB like in the f150's.

If it was a great deal, I would get it and swap in a dana 50 or 60 in the front end. It is a easy swap (so I have been told, never done one personally).

5. nateman

nateman Junior Member

Besides the front end how about the motor wise :confused: i ve never had a diesel my superduty is gas.

6. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I can't complain about the 7.3, as it was good to me. I don't think the 95's were turbocharged though. If the price was right, I would get it if it was a good deal.

It all depends on how much $$ it would cost me, but that is me. I love the 97 and older trucks.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The engine is reliable, although there are a few things that may have to be done depending on mileage. If its an auto tranny, you'll want to install a temp gauge on the tranny. If it is a stick shift it has an original dual mass flywheel. Hopefully it has been replaced with a single mass flywheel. The dual mass one eventually break springs and have to be replaced. $$$$ Just put in a single mass if the dual goes. I would also second the Dana 60 swap if you can find one. Other than that decent truck. Oh, and the 95 is turbocharged. It's a PSD.

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 95 F-250 PSD and it has been a great truck. I run a 7 1/2 Western Pro Plow with wings. You don't NEED an 8' plow with it. So what if the engine is heavy. It's just more weight for traction. It'sgottabegreen may not like his truck but I love mine. I rebuild my front end every 2 years. It has had a plow on it since year one and I now have over 250,000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong though... I have had a few issues with the truck but I tow a heavy trailer with it every day and plow with it in the winter. I also carry a 2 yard V-box. My point is I royally beat the **** out of my truck and it has ALWAYS been there for me.

One bit of advice... Take care of the engine. It's made to last a lifetime but only if you take care of it. Change all the fluids regularly. Pay close attention to the oil & coolant. Make sure to add a trans cooler and change the trans fluid at least before every plow season. I change mine before and after every plow season.

9. nateman

nateman Junior Member

Whats a ball park figure of what kind mileage u would get with this truck and how is it starting in the winter?

10. Plow Meister

I get around 20mpg. It starts just fine in the winter. The biggest complaint is the glow plug relay. I have to replace mine about every 2 years. It costs around $20.00 and takes about 10 minutes to change. Last year I never even plugged mine in. We had some cold days around -10 or so. I just cycled the glow plugs a few times before I started the engine and it fired up pretty well.

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

you will get 15- 18 mpg with this truck. No way you will get 20 mpg towing and plowing.

12. Plow Meister

I didn't mean while I was plowing. Honestly, how many people here really pay attention to theirr mileage while the blade is on / down? I can tell you this much, I fill up my tanks before the event. When I'm done I use about 1/2 of the front tank. I think that's about 12 gallons give or take. That comes out to about a gallon an hour.

13. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

20 mpg are you joking!!!! i have a 02 f-350 diesel i get 11-12 towing a loaded trailer and 15- 16 highway. if you don't have a heated garage keep it pluged in. all diesel's rumble real hard if you just start them cold. otherwise buy a gasser.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  14. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

i believe 94 1/2 and newer were turbo charged.

15. Plow Meister

95's are turbo charged. I made it from my home in Griffith, IN to Sioux Falls, SD on a full tank and still had a little less than 1/4 of the back tank. That comes out to almost 20 mpg. I had my bed full of camping supplies and my wife was in the passenger seat. At that time I had about 120,000 miles on the truck. The only mods I had done to the truck was a 5 position chip and a downpipe. Those mods don't really help mpg's especially when I run larger 33" tires.

16. nateman

nateman Junior Member

What are the best mods for the 7.3?

17. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Best bang for the truck is:
    bigger down pipe, exhaust, chip and intake. Don't forget gauges.

18. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I Get 18 average with mine :yow!:

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have bigger downpipe. Whe i install my chip It seems to hurt my miledge. Love my truck I have never ever had 1 problem with it. Only brakes and filters and a belt and pulley thats it. I will never ever own a gas truck again.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  20. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

hardy har har.....mine sure as heck gets 20mpg no matter where i go as long as im not towing something too heavy...

its a 1994 with the factory turbo, they went to psd in 95...

got 345k miles and doin nicely........and yeah i went and added a second set of leaves to the front, as the two spring deal on the ifs wears out in no time with a plow so id figure out a way to beef it up...