1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy a 2003 3/4 ton???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ratlover, May 5, 2003.

1. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Hello all!
    The topic pretty much sums it up. I am really interested in a new truck. Specificly a 2003 3/4 ton reg cab with a Duramax/allison. I will want to get it pretty well loaded with a locker in the back and the plow prep package(I have read that the only thing it really adds is the wiring stuff in a deisel but I dont want warranty issues)

My question basicly involves how well the IFS holds up. This would be an easy decision if chevy put a dana 60 up front but they dont :realmad: . I dont really see any issues with the duramax/allison combo but should I worry about the IFS? Is it going to puke on me?

I wont buy a doge and am not really interested in a ford but that would be my only other choice.

Most of the work will be comercial with a v-blade. Some towing in the summer. Boss hasnt gotten back to me on the widest I can go but I will be going as wide as possible. I have used a Boss v and liked it. Any reason I should go with someone else?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :help:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

I'd first do a search,as there has been quite a bit of discussion on trucks,and the plow people put on them.

It is a pretty good truck.The Duramax\Allison combo has most of the bugs worked out of it now.I'm not a fan of IFS either,but they do OK if taken care of,and you don't overload them.

Any particular reason you won't buy a Dodge ?

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Rat......no need to worry,,, my plow weighs a little over 940# and all did was throw some turns in the bars. 6 to be exact. Then i took 3 out for the summer to keep the front end a little higher.

4. ratlover

from IL

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Dodge trannys kinda scare me for one. They have problems keeping them behind a neon or a 318 letalone a cummings. Thats just my experience. I just wont ever buy a dodge. If someone else runns em succesfully thats good but they just aint for me.

I did a search but most of the feedback I have heard about the new Chevys is that they are ugly. I was mostly concerend about how the front end holds up. I guess that if there arnt tons of posts about the 3member puking or balljoints and aarms disinigrating then it must not be a problem right? :cool:

Invoice is acceptable to pay for a new faily loaded 3/4 duramax/allisoin right? I have a GM supplier discount that would give me 33808 on a 38449 stickered truck. Invoice as per KBB is 33600. But if I dont use my supplier discount then I can use 1300 from my gm card. Better get wheeling and dealing.

I think as long as they dont screw me on my trade or I dont hear something else I am going to get one.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Dodge transmissions are no better or worse than any of the others.They had their problems like everyone else.Once modified they tend to hold quite well,if not better than most.A lot of Dodge diesels are putting out some astronomical HP and torque numbers through these auto's.

The new Chevy's are kinda ugly,but not that bad.I haven't heard of any diff's blowing up lately,but it was a problem on some trucks in the past.Good luck with the new truck.

BTW it's Cummins,not cummings ;)

6. ratlover

from IL

Its funny how quick you get corrected when you write the worng thing. Had a ford guy about have a coranary when I made a comment on wishing they still put the 7.4's in the f250's and f350's instead of the new 6.0's. Kinda got confused and forgot it was a 7.3

I know they do some crazy things with mildly worked over Dodges. More interested in what she will do stock though.

We'll see what the stealer has to say.....

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just razzin ya,not many people on this site are quick to jump on anyone,if they do it's all in jest. :D