1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should i buy a 2001 f350 for $6,500???? Pointers!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Nolimit124, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

Hey guys i'm looking into buy a new truck for plowing this year. I'm looking at a 2001 f350 reg cab. It has 115,000 miles and the truck looks good. It comes with an 8ft fisher minute mount plow in tough shape.

Is it worth the $6,500 or should I keep looking for a better deal? I was really looking for an extended cab, but I figured this was worth the money. Let me know what you think of this deal!

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Hows the frame rockers? underside of the bed? It will prob need ball joints. is it the orginal transmisson? Its not a diesel for that price?

3. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

There is no rust, and it the original tranny. The rockers and the bed are good. I'm pretty sure the ball joints need to be replaced. The lady was asking $7,500 for it, but I got her down to $6,500 I guess it was her exhusbands or something that she just wants to sell, and has the title for it. I figured it was an ok price, but the plow is in tough shape its going to need a cutting edge and its pretty rusted so I might need to repaint it or just get another blade.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

You have to figure that truck will need around $2500+- worth of work in the future. Sounds like a decent price. Put it to work and let it earn its repairs. With some good luck and careful operation on your part hopefully it'll last a seson or two before you have to shell out a lot of money. Got any pics?

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought a used 01 f250 last year with similar miles. Definitly plan on putting a couple thousand into it in the near future. In the 9 months since I have had my truck I have had to put about $2200 just on items that wear out at the 100K mileage point. $6500 does not seem like a bad deal at all. Have a mechanic check it first so you know what you are getting yourself into.

6. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

like what??

7. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Ball joints, front hubs,rear axle seals, rotors.... a few other small things that I cant even remember. For the $4400.00 I paid for the truck I feel that I am still ahead. Hopefully no more repairs for a while.

Best of all...... nice having another truck without having more payments.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Buy it. :nod:

9. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I agree......

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I think its a great price

11. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

ok I'm going to buy it and add it to the fleet. I have a ford excursion 2003, and a 2000 2500hd along with this f350 I hope it snows. I only have like $16,500 into trucks for this winter if there are not problems. This is the first year i'm getting into plowing alone I usually sub my trucks out so i'm -$16,500, but if its a good winter thats only a few storms lol. Thanks for all the help i'm going to pick up the truck on Friday.

12. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Pictures, of course.

13. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

if you dont buy it i will.

14. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

Yeah if you want another truck I found two great deals on them. I found another F350 2000 with a fisher minute mount plow 1 and a western salt spread with 133k for $5,000. However, it has an exhuast manifold problem they rusted out so they much be replaced so i'm not sure if I should go for it. I was actually thinking about buying them both, but I didn't thnk I could come up with enough accounts this wiinter to pay them off. Let me know if you are really interested.

15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

we still dont know what engine is in the truck???

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

yeah.. and where's the pics???

17. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

no one mentioned looking at the oil pan....common issue and very expensive job on these. Otherwise great truck, you wont be disappointed