1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I bid this or should I not

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chester32, Oct 9, 2006.

1. chester32

chester32 Junior Member

Hi all
    First of all I wanted to say thanks for providing such a great website that is so full of Info .
    I have been in the lawn maintenance business for two years now and I’m planning on starting up the snow removal part of it this winter,
    I have read many posts so far about starting snow removal and about NOT taking to big of a bite when you first start out.
    So having said that, I’m planning on bidding on a job that would be around the size of a Home Depot, again from what I have read this is NOT recommended, But this and a couple of small commercial accounts (that are right near) would be my only accounts, so therefore I could pay most all of my attention to this big one (Of course, that is if I get the bid)
    For Equipment I have:
    2 skid steers (bobcats)
    1 1999 Dodge 2500 with a 8’ straight blade
    1 1978 Dodge 3500 with a 9’ straight blade (for backup)
    2 employees and myself
    So I was just wondering if I was off my rocker or not in bidding this job.
    Thanks,

2. jbone

jbone Senior Member

Ive worked for a company for the past two winters that had one skid steer 2 pickups with 8 foot plows and 1/2 dozen employees that had to caover 4 condominium complexes including all walkways and we did fine, if all the commercial accounts are parking lots and nearby you shouldnt have a problem but I dont see the skidsteers being to effective in a wide open lot, you may want to add onto that or swap the skid steers for something else like a front end loader. good luck!

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

bid if why not....put the two skids steers there and you should be fine....what about salt??sidewalks ur going to have to hire a few guys to shovel walks and what not....unless you get the skids to do all that....good luck but i would bid it

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Get two 8' protech snow pushers and you can move a lot of snow. Just put a V box spreader in the 3500 (let the old truck get rust from the salt) and you should be good to go. Just talk to people, after you get it post a pic here and we can tell you how to plow it the most effiecantly.