1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I bid.....? (kind of long)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Sep 5, 2006.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I had an opportunity to bid on a church last year but passed because I thought it might be a little too much for me, also my sister-in-law works there and she told me what the other bids were and the one they went with was almost half of what I was going to bid.

I had talked to the guy in charge of maintenance this spring regarding mowing and he said they were taking bids again this year for plowing as they were not happy with the work last season.

So, I am asking myself again if I should bid. Here are the spec's:

200' 2 lane driveway ending in a 75' x 75' parking lot to be open by 6:00.

2-3 acre parking lot (flat, no curbs, light poles, or obstructions) to be open by 7:00.

Another 400-500 feet of misc. roads around the church to be open by 7:00.

No shoveling or walks, only plowing.

Is this too much for one truck ('02 2500HD w/8'Western Pro Poly)?

I am concerned that during heavy snow by the time I am done plowing everything the areas I did first will be full again.

I am concerned about windrowing such a big lot, I am thinking I will need some type of "wings".

I have about 25 driveways and a few walks that I do now and I don't want them to suffer but I can certainly do more. I am at the point now where I really like plowing and don't want to get so much that I am stressed and rushed to get everyone done....but then I look at that big open lot and think how many drives it would take to make the same amount (along with all the driving between accounts) and think I could do it.

Anyway thank you for reading such a long post, I would appreciate any advice. I'll probably post this again as winter gets closer but thought I would get some early opinions.

Joel B.
  2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Just decide how much the job is worth to you. Sounds like your in the "if i get it great, if not no big loss" boat. Never hurts to throw in a bid... even if it is a little padded for being a PITA. Last year they hired a cheap guy and he did crap work, now they're in the market for a pro that does good work, so throw in a bid!
  3. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Plowing only? Try selling them on sand or salting also, if you do that? I would bid on this one yesterday!
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Your truck can handle that with no problems, the bigger problem is the windrow. I would get a set of wings or a box plow wings like John the Garagekeeper sells. They are called Mega scoops and they work great.

Regards Mike
  5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

you could hire a sub too and check on, help out to get the job done!

if you were in Omaha I would join too. :redbounce not many calls me for some snow removal.

yep I got JD 4020 loader and need a BOX!
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know all about the stress. This is the snow business and if you have only enough work to get every thing done in the storms then you will not make a lot of money. You have to have a full route on a normal snowfall. On the light ones you will be ahead and on the storms you do the best you can. If it starts snowing a 1 am and goes until 5 am then there is no way you are done by 7am. Nobody will give them this service. The thing you are going to need most is a back up truck/plan. Someone to help when the break down happens, be it minor or major. Houses you can explain your way through but commercial they just want it done.