1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I beef up my suspension?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by mikemcp, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mikemcp

mikemcp Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have an 88 yj wrangler and i found a 6.5 western sport utility blade, I am just concerned about the weight. On westerns website, they list this plow at 425 lbs, and since its an older jeep i was considering add a leafs in the front and back to offset the weight. However, with a 1.5 or 2 in lift, im concerned that the blade might not touch the ground? Should I not even bother with it or is it not a big deal to modify a mount? Let me know what you think?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Dont do anything just put the plow on
  3. mikemcp

mikemcp Junior Member
    from Chicago

So no suspension help needed? The plow does not have a mount, are they hard to come by or expensive, I keep searching google to find one for a jeep but could I use another one and just modify it?
  4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

X 2, there should be enough slack that you should be able to compensate for the lift. (add a springs wouldn't hurt though!)
  5. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

if you already have the lift frame, just fab your own mount, not difficult if your handy w/ a welder/grinder/torches:salute:
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I call dealer who sell western

He say there are 2 or 3 different type mount. I think 2 but don't want mistake.

He say most is Unimount. what kind mount you have?

He say Unimount was stop make last year or several years ago and cost $499 for 62050 and one I forgot what model is but cost $700.

I think better is make mount or find junkyard if they have one.

If you want talk that dealer you can pm me for phone number.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Should be fine without modifying the suspension, unless it's tired.

For a mount, check with Jerre, member here our of Erie. He's got all kinds of neat stuff laying around.
  8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Unless you want to be bottoming out on your axel stops (if thery are still there) get the wrangler add a leaf kit for rears from jc whitney. I you reverse the two springs (back to front) they will fit the front. I have two YJ's that are set up exactly this way. Can post the pics if you need....
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

wow! A western dealer with a TTY line.
    or you heard him.
    This the second person/ dealer (the other was a ford dealer) that you said you conversed with over the phone.
    I did not know you could hear him?
    That's great news.

well that's just great your not deaf any more?
  10. jeepwannab

jeepwannab Member
    from ny

on one of my yj's i have the western ultramount, and 6'' of lift, with the plow it sags to about 3-4", but i just let out some more chain and ground down the trip pads or whatever there called to make up for the negitive angle of the blade
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sure, would you send me the phone# of that western dealer.
    I would like to ask him a question also.