1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be pissed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Jan 5, 2009.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Ok so there are 3 hotels owned by one guy I got 2 of them this year. Today I pull in to look at the lot and the janitor guy from the other hotel I dont do is scraping along the curbs with a loader that the plow company leaves there. Well I went back to salt the lot and where he scrapped there is now all ice and water from not being able to drain ad some frozen rows of snow. The temp was about 26 and sunny today and now about 16 and dropping.
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

salt extra?
  3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Naw, if he didn't take any billable stuff away from you then I assume he just saw an opportunity to clean up some stalls and took it. I would remember it if the y have any curb damage.

The one who should be pissed is the other contractor... does he know this guy took his loader for a spin?
  4. qualitycut

Ya its a flat rate per time. But if someone could have fell before I got there I just happened to go back through tonight after I was done eating near by or I wouldn't have seen this. It just made a mess out of the lot and its a per month account.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What do ayou mean not able to drain? How did he cause that?

Not to mention what is he doing using the other plow companies loader!?!? That's who should be pissed. Unless they had a deal or something....
  6. qualitycut

It is holding it between a quarter in of snow ice mix that has been hard to melt with the temps being low the last few days and the curb. and he left wind rows from the bucket in spots that are now frozen.
  7. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Pictures always help me out in those type of situations.
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so he was cleaning your lot? well first why is it that he even has to do that? i know we had alot of snow, but did you ask ab out removal ? or relocation? possibly, even if they shoot me down on the relocation , we will move afew piles around just to keep the property looking good.

in your contract you should have had a clause that states , no other snow removal maybe preformed by another company, or the owner.............. and in addition , no other work of any kind shall be preformed to the outside of the property with out 24 hours notice .

additionally , in the event that the customer does service the property him self , or to another contractor, he will hold all liablity from that point furth, and maybe billed for services wheather they were completed or not
  9. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I would tell them that you appreciate the free help, Say you would also appreciate a call because you have a specific plan with the lot in order to clear it.

When someone chips in unannounced, it can disrupt your plan and potentially create a hazard that you will not be held liable for.
  10. qualitycut

I guess my main concern was the liability of something happening and thats why I am so frustrated.
  11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

? which one is it Per Time or Per Month
  12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I think the other company should be pissed because the guy took their loader. So why does one company plow and one salt? Thats how I'm interpreting it.
  13. qualitycut

per time salt at flat rate per month plow. No I plow 2 of the 3 hotels and salt them both. and the other company does 1.
  14. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

Pictures would help out to understand the lot and what went he did was wrong. I'm in close to inver grove,mn but still out of my area. WHere are the hotels located?
    Yea I would be pissed if someone took my loader for a drive!
  15. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I has something similiar once. Private school, some kids dad just sowed up with his skid steer to piss around and I happened to catch him there. Talked to him and he said he was just playing around for free so I said nothing more to him. I called the school next day and talked to my contact and made it clear that no one other then my company should be working on that lot, I will not be liable for any curb, lot, or grass damage, he agreed and apologized and noted he was not aware of it but would make it clear to all that should not happen again.
    You should do the same IMO.
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not your fault he caused it to ice up.