1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be Liable?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 6, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Last night I was helping my brother push back piles at one of his accounts I destroyed a picnic table that was in one of the piles :eek:. It was in an open area on a hill so its not as though it was a break area. My brother said he has told them to move it mulitple times but they never did, now I smashed it on accident obviously

Should he (my brother) or me for that matter be held liable for the damage or should it be an "I told you so" situation? It is probably only a $200 table but still.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

If you seen it and knew it was there, no. If you knew it was there and hit it, yes.

Considering that it is your brother and he knew it was there but you didn't I would see if he would go half with you.. It might keep things smooth with you and him.

I replace anything I break if I know it was there and it was due to me not paying attention and such but I can't help breaking something if I never knew it was there.

I'd let your brother handle it with them
  3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Offer them half the price of the table and tell them that next time they are asked to move something for the safety of those involved please to comply.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Go and talk with them, explain it was hit and why it couldn't be seen and bring up about them not going to keep it there. Be nice and apologetic. Maybe they will surprise you and say don't worry about it.
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i hate to be a a-hole but yea you are liable

a contractor can-not dictate where any of the clients property is stowed!!

if it was not you're fault because it was in a snow-bank l would like to know WHO put the snow there in the first place? just because you was not on site when the snow was stacked there the first time does not relieve responsibility from you're brother.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Picnic table kits $75 at Home Depot:D
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd pay and make sure it's at least as good as it was before.
  8. scoopdog

scoopdog Junior Member
    from ohio

Yes in a court they will make you pay for the table. This is why we all need to be charging more for our services. This business looks easy until you start to have problem.