1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should have went with my gut.....LOL

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 525Enterprises, Dec 20, 2010.

1. 525Enterprises

525Enterprises Senior Member

I decided this year to try to take on a little extra to see what would happen. I have my own lots, avg about 130 an hour and was trying to keep it there. Obviously going from the HMFIC to the normal sub guy, had to take a lesser rate of 45 an hour. Was a crock. Not to mention that after almost 150 texts, 15 phone calls and 3 meetings, ntohing was really hashed out as to issues of curb to be clean, stay away from curb so it doesnt get dinged and such, half plows and full plows, but thought that perhaps it would celar up. I should have known, and have myself to blame.

First snow last week, plowed local krogers, lowes and frontier buildning, and learned that these arent his lots either. Was mislead the whole time. After talking to the guy in chrage, I think all i did was create a bigger problem. Tried to explain we werent told about curbs, that we were told to be sure to plow slower than normal, not to use wings to make up for the 45 an hour, etc... I am fed up. I shoudl have just stayed with my stuff and been happy. every year we pick up more and more lots, usually 5 new commercial lots a year, and since we havent lost a single one yet, They must be happy.

Now I just hope to collect the crappy check from the ten total hours of headache i had and move on. If I didnt have to deal with the stupid stufff, and the multiple phone calls to get one answer, i might have stayed with it thru the season. I think it best for me and my own sanity to just stick with what I can control.

Good luck with whoever tries this next

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Great reminder, hope things work out for you
  3. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I still cant figure out this "sub" game some of you guys play with snowplowing.
  4. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

which company was it so i dont sign up
  5. 01lariat

01lariat Member

I get $50 an hour subbing. I was told I'd get more work with my upgraded plow this year. I have gotten slightly more work, but the problem is I get it all done way faster now, and I make less money. Should've seen that one coming. I'll have to see about getting more, one way or the other, or something else to do in my free time.
  6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

If I got paid by the hour, the 9' 2" would come off, the wings would come off AND the SnowMan would come off and the 7' 6" I got off Craigslist would be put on....Lol!

"ProSeasons, how long did it take you to do that cul de sac?"

"6, 7 hours.....Jeez, it was a whole BLOCK long!!!"

Thanks 525, for the reminder..
  7. 525Enterprises

I guess it falls down to this. If you have enough to keep yourself busy for 20 plus hours per storm, thats great. But I only have enough to keep myself busy for about half that. Hence, I am missing out on money, so I figured I would give it a try this year.
  8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Sounds like you need to find a better company to sub for.. I get the same route every storm. Prior to the first storm they give me a print out with all of the locations and what they want or don't want when it snows. It's very simple, then i get paid the following week. If i get done with my route and there is still work to be done he will send me out to other accounts.. he has always been fair with giving me hours and i have been with him over 5 years.
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

It may be time for u to have a discussion with your employer. Better performance shouldn't be punished.
  10. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

who was the company simcopa?
  11. 525Enterprises

yeah. the way this thing works is the same way. doesnt matter if you have a six foot blade or a ten foot blade with wings, you get the same rate. Thought this guy might ne on the learning curve, but i must be way off on what I think.....LOL
  12. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Somehow I got negative sorry.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  13. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

Oh my, see I was raised to do it the right way the 1st time! Sounds like you need to pay more to get PROFESSIONALS in there to plow and salt if need be!
  14. 525Enterprises

bwahahahahah think that you better go back and read the whole post over again there pro.....LOL
  15. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Who was this company?
  16. 525Enterprises

Lets just say the local landscape here in marion is hopefully better than the snow pushing side. I think they are also members on here
  17. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I do not know how anybody who would be doing any residential work could not get enough work.I only advertised my first season ,1989,and everything since has been word of mouth.I have to turn work down because I am at my 1 man limit.Wish I could do it all but not enough hrs during a storm.I will do call ins after I am completely done.
  18. 525Enterprises

Every third truck here in town is a plow truck. There must be literally 400 people adveertising for snow push. Doesn't matter if they have knsurance, etc... and its a SMALL town. I fell very lucky to have the accounts that I have, some people seem to fall into work, but that just doesn't happen around here. Someone always has a shovel duct taped to the front of their truck trying to get rich quick...