1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

should employees pay for damage?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by turbo5560, Feb 10, 2009.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

As the title states, should employees pay for damage? I'm not talking turf damage but vehicle damage? I had a employee plowing in my truck one night and backed into a car. No damage to the truck, but did do $1,600 worth of damage to the car. Would you take the money out of the subs pay or would you eat it? My deductible is $1,000 and in my opinion isn't worth turning the claim in. What would you do?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I am not sure legally but I don't think you can with hold his pay. You could ask him to pay the $1800 or pay the $1000 that would be you deduct able or if you like him split it and tell him not to do it again..........

JMHO

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

how long has the employee been with you?
    is he an otherwise good employee?
    did he tell you right away or did you have to find out some other way?

these are questions i ask myself when i've been put into this situation.
    if he is a decent employee and has been with you for a while it would be very fair of you to split the cost. thats a tough call

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You better have a signed form allowing that deduction. If you don't, you could be in a world of hurt.

Stuff happens when you're plowing, it's only a matter of time before something is damaged. That's why you have insurance.

If it starts to become a frequent occurrence, then you need to train better or fire him\her.

5. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

As he being one of your employees I don't think legally you can make him pay.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If hes a money maker for you, dont throw out the baby with the bathwater.

7. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

I don't think you can legally.

We have had four incidents that could have been put through insurance this year already but we have/are planning to pay for the damages ourselves to keep insurance from skyrocketing more than it already has.

All caused by workers, the most expensive was a hydro pole and all new cable(main line) estimated at 25K plus loss of hydro for the business, and the guy was seen getting out and hiding the damage by covering it with snow!

Swallow the cost yourself and get rid of him if you have other problems with him.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, and I thought my $8K transformer was bad. I was fortunate enough that he decided plowing wasn't for him. ;)

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

If you think a $1000 dollar insurance claim is un justified, you may want to compare that to a lawsuit and penalties from your state. You can not under any circumstance ask or force an employee to pay for anything. If the guy has half a brain he would be seeing dollar signs as you dripple out all the reasons why he should pay. Frustrating I know, but it's just not worth the risk.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If he is an employee you can NOT make him pay for the damages. If he is a Sub then the damages is on him and he has to pay for it. Here is an eassy way to figure it out. Was he driving your truck under your insurance? If the answer is yes then he is an employee and you can not make him pay for it. You can fire him, but not pay for the damage. If he is a sub and driving his own truck with his own insurance then he is responsible and it falls under his insurance and he would either have to pay out of pocket or file a claim with his insurance. Now if you left him drive his truck under your insurance then you have to pay and you can not make him pay. pretty simple. Just by reading the above statement you called him an employee and a sub. he cant be both.

11. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

Well i think i take the side of most of you. I thought that i would just have to eat it, but so many people have told me that he should pay for it. I know that I have broken things in the past and my employer has paid for it. It wasn't $1,600.... but still.

12. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Re Read the thread, LOL most of us say its not legally advisable.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I was about to say........That damn statement just doesn't make any sense!

14. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I think what everyone is saying is that you do have to eat it.

15. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

You could try to get him to pay but he could also say he hurt his back in the crash. Then, get a workmans comp case. It's the cost of doing business make sure next time he causes more damage so it's easier to make a claim on your insurance:D

16. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I would have to go with "BurkartsPlow" on this one

17. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Michigan law

Any deduction required by law (i.e. taxes, friend of the court payments) and union dues. All other deductions require the employer to get your signed authorization before the deduction is made. The employer is required to itemize deductions on your pay stub.

18. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

From your state's Dept of Labor-

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-27673_32352-184088--,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-27673_32352-41936--,00.html

Basically from the way I read it- unless you have a written authorization prior to any damages occurring stating that the employee is responsible for reimbursing you , you can't go after your employee.

19. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I say if he was driving your truck youare responsible. If he was a sub in his truck he is required to carry his own commercial auto insurance. It sucks you pay because of his mistake but that is part of doing business and why we pay insurance.

20. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

no i totally agree with everyone... the only reason i ask is that i have had about 5 people locally say "well why not take it out of his pay..." just wanted to make sure i was thinking straight