1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Should a 2500HD Overheat?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,
    I know this has been visited before but my 04 2500HD overheats with the plow on. The truck has snowplow prep, heavy duty cooling and all that. Why doesn't the fan clutch do it's job when it senses high temps? As soon as I get from one driveway to the next, the temp gauge is nearly pinned. If I pull over and drop the plow and bring the rpms up it cools right down. Anybody with similar trouble?? It just doesn't seem right to overheat in 18 degree weather. Thanks. :salute: :salute:

'04 2500HD 8' Fisher
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Same problem here.

Went to dealer with the TSB # and they said that my truck already had the updated clutch fan. :(

I'd love to try one of those new dual electric fan setups, but fear it may not be enough while towing in the summer.
  3. tooltime

tooltime Junior Member

if you can get an electric fan clutch for your truck put one on
    on all our highway trucks we have 11' and 12' plows and we can
    over heat them. we started putting electric fan clutchs on
    and we do not over heat trucks anymore.
    electric clutchs use water temp sensors not air temp.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Are there electric clutchs out there for pickup-trucks?

I was talking about electric FANS, not clutches.
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Take your truck to a GM truck dealer, not one that just deals in small trucks. GM is having a major problem with assembly workers not changing the fan clutch prior to installing it into a truck with a plow prep. Casting on clutch is the same, just themo spring is different.
    I would take it to a truck dealer with your plow on and make service manager go for a ride. GM knows they have a problem on the assembly line and have no problem paying, just most dealers don't see much of the problem...
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My 6.0 plow prep '04 overheats severely with the plow on. They said that I have the improved clutch fan already on it.

Can anyone confirm that there truck that received the TSB does NOT overheat anymore? I originally believed them that I had the correct one, but now am starting to doubt them.
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I would have it double chk'd or have it swapped anyway. Maybe defective. I have an 04' 3500. It does it occaisionally but I haven't had it checked yet. Never bothers except for driving from site to site. Can't overheat it plowing or towing. I had 13 or 14k in tow Saturday. Climbing some pretty good Vt hills and the gauge never moved.Only seems to be an issue when the plow is blocking the grill. Even dropping the plow a little really helps. My question is, do you guys have issues with the trans temp coming up when plowing. I haven't had it in the red but it gets somewhat close. My ford would shoot right to the red and I would have to stop and let it cool. I have considered running synthetic in the trans., anyone done that yet?
  8. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I have a 2005 Hd and man does this thing ever overheat.What a joke to pay good money for a truck that has to cool down to be able to even go a few miles down the road...
  9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L 4:10 rear-end. With my 8' Western on it would overheat with the plow on. I had the clutch fan replaced per the TSB, and have not had any problems since, the temp never reads past the half way point, and transmission seems to run cooler. I do notice the fan is louder, which I believe is due to the higher disengage RPMs. I can look up the part number that I had installed if you need it. I have posted the TSP on here before. (TSB Thread )

These truck should not over heat. I had to sort of force the issue with my dealer, but they did change it. One thing is that I hear it effects gas mileage, but I have not checked my since the change to confirm it.
  10. Robo

Robo Senior Member

THEY made a mistake or the "right one" is faulty. Make them replace and it and faghetaboutit :nod:
  11. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Make them replace the fan clutch!! The problem will be distant memory the first time you mount the plow :nod:
  12. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i replaced my fan clutch last month and if i tried to overheat it now it would be impossible. the thing never moves. it sits at 200-205 once it gets warmed up. i had a 2002 gmc 2500hd and replaced it with part#22149894 :drinkup:
  13. You guys are great!

Thanks for all of the good info. I can't believe the knowledge all of you collectively have. I'm calling the dealer today. I agree with all of you that there is no reason that a truck that is supposed to be able to plow would over heat so often. Thanks again and I'll let you know how I make out.

Motorman 007 :salute: :salute:
  14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if I ever asked you this, maybe I have....but, .....what is your build date (on the sticker inside the drivers door jamb)?

Could you look up that part # for me? I would like to get this resolved ASAP, as we have some snow coming this week/weekend.

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Any updates?
  16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Will check my build date at lunch, and will try and find that part number of the fan I got installed....
  17. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

Hello. I have a 2004 Chevy 3500 Mason Dump. Running a 8-1/2" western and 3 yard salt spreader it only wants to over heat when I go slightly over 50 mph. or up long hills over a period of time. It is frustrating in that it doesn't always do it. Even when I drop the plow or angle it it still wants to overheat. I end of having to blast the heat and go slower with plow 2 inches off the gorund. Driveway to driveway to parking lot it is fine while plowing or towing. it is only when driving long distances.

Do you guys think a fan clucth or electric fan will work?

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Frozen! :)

Yes, that describes my overheating exactly. Only mine happens from 40mph on up. And this was a 12 degee day, not a warm 40 degree day like what you could have during a Late March storm.

Apparently, this TSB that we are talking about corrects this issue totally.

I'm trying to verify that those that have had it performed have had it solve their problem 100%, as I'm about to call my dealer and tell him that I must NOT have the correct clutch assembly, or that mine is faulty.
  19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Truck build date (I think): 5/04 from upper right on sticker with axle weight ratings

Fan Part Number according to receipt from dealer:

FP number: 15710101
    Description: Clutch 1.050

Fan was replaced per Technical Bulletin :04-06-02-006

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you much. Yours is even newer than mine (12-03), and needed it.

Time to call the Service Manager.