1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

shorty headers on a 92 chevy pick up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 13, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i picked up a brand new set of ss headers tonight and going to install them tomarrow night. can i install the o2s 2 inches down in the y pipe? how do the collector adaptors work on the new headers?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

What kind did you get?? As long as the o2 is before the cat, it shouldnt be an issue. Never dealt with the collector adapters. Mine for my 92 bolted right up to the stock y pipe with no modification at all. I just drilled out a spot on the driver's side header collector, and welded on an o2 bung to keep it in the stock location.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

what headers did you get ? link or pics to post would help.

and thay do make bolt in headers with no mods needed to fit.

and yes o2 can move to a point tho. if single wire o2 needs to be as close as possible to motor for propor warm up from exaust heat.

if you cant do this read this here. good info and part # to use. read Q2 http://www.tbichips.com/faq.htm

4. the new boss 92

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-69520/

similar headers except mine are 403 stainless. i have the 02 thing down now with a little reserch. as far as the adaptor im just a little confused how they work because they are a little differnt then the ones made for the truck! the are just a 3 inch flange that you have to use the adaptors on.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Why did you get engine swap headers? They should work, but it is going to take some work to get them to fit. Most direct bolt in headers will have the o2 port and bung already there. The one wire o2 sensor does not heat like the obd2 3-4 wire o2 sensors. And the direct fit will also bolt right up to the stock y pipe without using adapters. The way those are, you will need to cut the y pipe, and weld the new collectors in, if they even fit. If those collectors were designed for the S series trucks, the y pipe main pipes will be smaller than those of the full size trucks with the 350. My recommendation is to return them and get the actual proper direct fit headers for that truck. I would go with these, and they are direct fit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-65662/

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I was thinking of putting headers on my 94 than after much thought I didn't. the headers are thiner steel so they would heat up the block more . heat, plow truck, not good.

am i wrong ?

7. the new boss 92

Lower egts, same concept as a diesiel, let's more heat out faster. I got a smoking deal on the headers, plus I need to try out the new miller mig!

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The headers allow the engine to flow out more hot air down the exhaust versus being stuck in the manifolds. With ceramic coated ones, they can reduce underhood temps by 80 degrees or better. Plus you will get a lil more power and torque, and better fuel mileage. I have headers on both of mine and will never go back to manifolds.